+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 2014 FS Germany

I don't know any of the specifics of how the CF suspensions failed. I do think that the only dangerous situations on track came from failed suspensions or wheels. Some of the flying wheels managed to fly into areas where the marshalls were standing. I was told one wheels actually grazed a marshall because they were seen rubbing their shoulder after the incident. At least one car hit the tire barriers after its suspension failed. There were a couple of failed wings, but I believe most of the cars either kept driving or spun in place.

I can only say what I heard from the Monash guys as we waited for the final 5 to start. At that point they were saying that some part of the car was overheating. I don't recall if they said it was in the turbo system or if it was the cooling system. It was not the time or place to press for those kinds of questions.
    Jay Swift
    Combustion Powertrain
    Global Formula Racing 2013-2014

As far as we know the reason the Monash car stopped was fuel pressure. We checked the tank briefly after enduro (had to pull the car apart immediately to pack it for transport back to Australia). We had enough fuel left in the tank as far as I know, the current theory is our low pressure fuel pump died, which fills an internal fuel tower which feeds the high pressure pump. The guys won't find out for sure until we get the car back in Australia in a month or two. I don't have the logs on me, but the car was running hotter than usual, but I don't think it would have caused any issues. Strange how many teams had issues with fuel in the last few laps? Even Stuttgart stalled out on the last lap due to fuel, but luckily managed to get the car restarted and bring home 2nd place!
    Monash Motorsport
    Aerodynamics/Vehicle Dynamics/Management
    07-?

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftus View Post
    I do think that the only dangerous situations on track came from failed suspensions or wheels.
    Jay,

I somewhat have to disagree with this, just from watching your team's video of the autocross events.

A car on track, at the very end of the run (when most drivers are trying to make up for the mistakes that they've made the entire rest of the run), pointed straight at a stationary car, with no barrier in between. I would expect this type of thing from smaller events, like Formula North, where the dynamic events are confined to a single parking lot, but not from a big event like FSG.

-Matt
    Matt Davis
    University of Cincinnati
    Bearcat Motorsports: 2012-2013: Suspension guy

Bilstein: 2013 - ??: Product Engineer

This post is a collection of my own thoughts and opinions, and in no way, shape or form reflects the thoughts/opinions of my company, my university or anyone else but myself.

Matt,

You are correct. My intent was to cite just the situations actually experienced this year, not the potential situations.

For clarity, here is the area Matt is describing:

Autocross FSG14.jpg

It does look potentially dangerous. This year most cars were getting so out of shape at the jump and tight left before that corner that they were not a problem at the last right. Last year's autocross entrance exit (The typical endurance entrance exit) is a much safer entry, but the logistics of creating an orderly line for autocross are horrible. This year's line stretched the entire length of the hockenheim straight. An addition of a small tire barrier would solve this and I am sure the organizers of FSG have a list of improvements for next year.
    Jay Swift
    Combustion Powertrain
    Global Formula Racing 2013-2014

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3