+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: FSAE Tire Test Consortium -- Round 3

Brian-

You are correct that I am no longer on a FSAE team. I am however still directly active in the community.

All I know is my university's own experience. With the couple times our computer lab was upgraded, servers changed over, admins changed, access rights, etc.. it would have been tough to keep something steady over time.

In any event, I didn't say "free," I just said public.

Just my 2 cents.

My university obtained the TTC tire data two years ago but it is only this year that we decided to try to make use of it.

I've been doing some simple simulation on MATLAB to try to get some data that makes sense and that can be useful.

Here's a quick explanation of what I did and what my problem is:

I'm running test3 MRA goodyear 20x7x13 - 7 rim data at 12psi, 2deg IA. I'm running ExpansionType = 4; % FY = f(FZ,SA,IA,mu)

instead of having a loop for the normal load, i'm setting it to 245lb. when the graph is plotted, my peak does not match my graph. what i mean is that the curve's peak is somewhere, and the dot that indicates the peak is off by 1deg SA and 100lb of FY. is this correct or there's a problem somewhere?

I've found the peak finder in the MRA models appears to be temperamental at best. If you use the loop to plot graphs and peaks for a couple of different tyres, you'll see that sometimes you see peaks that are no where near the graph, sometimes even of reversed sign. I would definitely believe the apparent peak on the graph rather than that indicated by the peak finder.

It's hard to know why it happens because the code for the models is a 'black box', but I'd suggest if you want to use the peak values for some other purposes, then you generate them yourself by looping through several slip angles and then simply reading the highest value in the output matrix (I haven't tried, but I bet there's a MAX function or something built in to Matlab that'll make life easy)
    Malcolm Graham
    University of Auckland '06-'09
    www.fsae.co.nz

The TTC forums are now up. When you register you need to use a university email address, this is used to verify TTC membership. I’m assuming that a lot of people will be registering in the coming week, so it may take me a while to approve your registration request.

The forum can be access at: http://sae.wsu.edu/ttc
    Brian Seater
    Washington State University FSAE 2005-2009
    http://sae.wsu.edu

excellent. Do people feel it's sufficient identification that someone has an email address that is from a member university? Auckland has around 30,000 students, all of whom have @aucklanduni.ac.nz email addresses, but less than 30 are in the FSAE team. Should there be an extra identification required by an assigned member from each university? It's a lot more work, guess it depends what kind of information will be posted and how private it is desired to keep this data. Is there any consensus as to what is and isn't acceptable to discuss/post on the forum?
    Malcolm Graham
    University of Auckland '06-'09
    www.fsae.co.nz

There's also the issue of what to do about industry guys that have supported the TTC (Goodyear, Hoosier, Stackpole, etc.)

Malcolm, you bring up an interesting point about other students at a member university. I hadn't thought of that, do you think other students trying to join will actually be an issue? If you have a simple way to ensure that someone is actually on the FSAE team, I'm all ears. Keep in mind that there are 199 members, so simple is key. I don't know now current the contact info is either, so telling everyone what the method is could also be a problem. Not saying its impossible, just that it would be a lot of work.

Zac, I'm going to take the easy way out and say that I'll leave that up to Doug and the other TTC organizers. Right now Doug Milliken, Bill Cobb, and Dr. Woods have accounts.
    Brian Seater
    Washington State University FSAE 2005-2009
    http://sae.wsu.edu

Bill Cobb is a TTC organizer?

Originally posted by Brian S:
    Malcolm, you bring up an interesting point about other students at a member university.
    As I've been interpreting the TTC license, once a university/college/school joins, the data is available to any researcher at that institution. For example, a couple of TTC memberships have been paid by university libraries (clever way to stretch an FSAE/FStudent budget!) and the librarians maintain the data in a location that is only available to their students & faculty. This new private forum may be a good opportunity to revisit this policy if anyone feels that there is abuse of the TTC license?

There's also the issue of what to do about industry guys that have supported the TTC (Goodyear, Hoosier, Stackpole, etc.)
    I think it's to everyone's advantage if the TTC supporters are allowed to join the private forum--if anyone has a reason to object perhaps they could post it here?

In answer to another post, Bill Cobb is the newest addition to the list of TTC supporters.

-- Doug Milliken for the TTC

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast