+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14

Thread: center-lock hubs and wheels

Originally posted by Z:

Maybe I was a bit harsh with the "buffoons" comment, but what I have been saying in my recent comments directly contradicts your above quote. People in racing DO NOT lose their jobs for underperforming.

I don't know Z, this sounds like the majority of the jobs out there. I still don't understand it, but generally the shit rises to the top.

Dunno if this link was posted earlier, atleast the first 4 pages didn't have it. Do excuse me if it was already posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...oSNM&feature=related
    The first link shows the locking mechanism on the nut itself. It's very clearly shown.(1min, 24sec)
    Regards,
    Nikhil Jali
    Electrical Head '10
    Engine & DaQ '07, '08, '09, '11
    Ashwa Racing

Happy Z presumably:

Ben
    -

Originally posted by ben:
    Happy Z presumably:

Ben
    Those are neat. I wonder how long the splines/teeth will last on there though.

Ooooohhhhh... I get it. That's pretty clever.

Northwestern Formula Racing Alum
    Head Engineer, Frame/Suspension 2006-2009

My '73 Saab 99 Road Race Build

You can achieve the same with an "easier" (at least from the manufacturing point of view) solution too: Who says you need full face-spline?
    "...when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit" - Dr. Brown

Ben,

Oooo... yes! Z happy now!

Do you know who, where... ?
    ~~~o0o~~~

Racer-X,

I'm sure the teeth would last a lot longer than a conventional peg-drive's mounting face and holes, which are subject to "fretting".
    ~~~o0o~~~

Just for the record...

The image shows one half of a "Hirth joint", aka a "face spline", or "conical spline with half-cone-angle of 90 degrees". As such, it is a hermaphroditic joint where both sides are the same (boy=girl). So the "axle-hub" to which this mounts would look similar.

This particular one has 20 teeth that seem to have a flank angle of about 45 degrees (inluded angle of teeth = 90 degrees?), possibly for ease of machining with conventional milling bit. Narrower teeth are also common, with included angle down to 30 degrees (or less).

If I was making that joint, then I might cut a little more off the teeth peaks, and/or undercut the valleys a bit (with round nose mill).
    Any peak-to-valley contact = bad!
    Only flank-to-flank contact = good.

The centre-lock nut, which presses the two halves of the joint together, should have a flat mounting surface (ie. at 90 degrees to axle axis), NOT the usual conical surface. This appears to be the case as seen at top-left of image, but not entirely clear?

As a final BTW, I recently saw a similar joint on some interweb image of an electric motor for someone's hybrid car.

It's an oldie, but a goodie!

Z

Originally posted by Markus:
    ... Who says you need full face-spline?
    Markus,

Hmmm, well, you need at least 3 teeth, each with two contacting flanks (for control of all 6 DoFs) ...

Z

Originally posted by Z:
    Ben,

Oooo... yes! Z happy now!

Do you know who, where... ?

Z
    University of Auckland: http://www.facebook.com/UoAfsae

Nuts look flat-faced too:

Ben
    -

Originally posted by Z:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Markus:
    ... Who says you need full face-spline?
    Markus,

Hmmm, well, you need at least 3 teeth, each with two contacting flanks (for control of all 6 DoFs) ...

Z </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    And 3 is what we have. And a conical washer with a rotational dof for centering.

I'm not going to share more about the design because it's not my own. But it's proven reliable since 2009 with zero count on lost wheels due to centerlock loosening / failure.
    "...when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit" - Dr. Brown

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14