+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: MasterCam

For 2.5d, CamBam is free and has a very low learning curve. It claims 3d capabilities but I don't have any experience with that. Like coleastering said, you can do alot with 2.5d if your creative. My main method for getting geometry into the program was generating DXFs with solidworkds.

I used Mastercam some. Definitely a lot more overhead in figuring out how to use it properly, but it does seem like the de-facto standard, so I'm sure it turns out to be a very powerful tool in the long run.
    Joseph Little
    Chrysler Group LLC
    CAE/Vehicle Dynamics Tools Development
    Mississippi State Motorsports Alum 2008-2010
    Get Adams/Car, the FSAE Database, and Training Materials:
    www.mscsoftware.com/fsae

Used MasterCAM 6, 8, 9 and X through college on anything from a Bridgeport 2-axis retrofit to a CNC lathe to a 4-axis VMC. It's really not that difficult to learn. I also found it to be quite quick to generate anything from simple pocket toolpaths to elaborate 3-axis high speed surfacing... and running it DNC.

Of course, before getting into any CNC machining I would highly recommend at least a year's background of manual experience.. a strong understanding of work holding, feeds, and speeds.. and guidance of someone who knows what they're doing and can teach you. To that point I think this is a bit of a moot question. You should use whatever CAM package the local shop supervisor is familiar with and has available on campus.

Otherwise you run a very high risk of crashing / breaking / melting some very expensive tools, parts, and pieces of machinery.

Knowing basic G-code is a must as well. Don't want to be missing that one little M8 before the tool comes down...
    Colorado FSAE | '05 - '07
    Goodyear Tire & Rubber | '07 - '11
    NASCAR Engineer | '11 - ??

I work at a medical device prototyping firm and we use the Mastercam add-in for Solidworks.

Pro: if you plan on programming toolpaths before dimensions are set in stone, the ability to regenerate toolpaths is awesome. Saving files that have gone through the MasterCam add-in will save their tool paths for later versions, which is useful if you plan on modifying one or two things for the following year.

Con: we've experienced some laggy-ness and had to implement some workarounds (like drawing additional sketches to use as toolpaths), and we do use a post processor to do some last minute text editing before we send it to our Haas machines. Oh and I can't imagine it's cheap. We have 1 seat of it currently.

That being said, both our boss and our journeyman machinist really like it. We can usually program and machine a new part in about a day if we have the tools and the fixturing.
    Formula SAE: When you just can't get rid of a girlfriend.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pennyman:
    I work at a medical device prototyping firm and we use the Mastercam add-in for Solidworks.

Pro: if you plan on programming toolpaths before dimensions are set in stone, the ability to regenerate toolpaths is awesome. Saving files that have gone through the MasterCam add-in will save their tool paths for later versions, which is useful if you plan on modifying one or two things for the following year.

Con: we've experienced some laggy-ness and had to implement some workarounds (like drawing additional sketches to use as toolpaths), and we do use a post processor to do some last minute text editing before we send it to our Haas machines. Oh and I can't imagine it's cheap. We have 1 seat of it currently.

That being said, both our boss and our journeyman machinist really like it. We can usually program and machine a new part in about a day if we have the tools and the fixturing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with your Pros/Cons. The biggest annoyance for us was switching from Solidworks to NX/UGS for our CAM. We were still trying to learn mastercam when I graduated.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2