+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Structural Equivalency Sheet (SES)

Is anybody else out there just as confused with the new SES spreadsheet as me? Most of it really straightforward and just plug-and-chug.
    Where I'm getting confused though is where you input the "Number of Tubes". For instance, on the "Front Hoop Bracing" sheet, the default number of tubes is 1, which I'm assuming is meant to be when viewing in side view. However, my Front Hoop Bracing consists of a "bent" tube, with a triangulating tube back to the Front Roll Hoop. So does this mean I now have 3 tubes? Or 2? The spreadsheet seems to multiply the A_cross by the number of tubes for the EI calculations. But this does not seem correct at all, and I'm confused as to how I should represet my specific layout in the sheet.
    Also, default "Number of Tubes" for the Side Impact Structure is 3 (1 on top, 1 on bottom, 1 middle triangulating). However, the bottom tube on my frame is bent, so the triangulating tube is essentially 2 tubes in a "V" shape. Is the middle triangulating tube(s) simply represented as 1 tube?

I understand the reasoning behind moving to something like this, as it is indeed more thorough and means less work for the organizers, but it seems like there should be a more thorough "How To" sheet, due to the unfamiliarity from all the teams, especially newer teams.
    I'd love to here some input.
    San Jose State University

FSAE Chassis and Ergonomics Lead '12-'13
    FSAE Chief Engineer '11-'12
    FSAE Chassis Technical Lead '10-'11
    Formula Hybrid Chassis Grunt '09-'10

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing le

Is anybody else out there just as confused with the new SES spreadsheet as me? Most of it really straightforward and just plug-and-chug.
    Where I'm getting confused though is where you input the "Number of Tubes". For instance, on the "Front Hoop Bracing" sheet, the default number of tubes is 1, which I'm assuming is meant to be when viewing in side view. However, my Front Hoop Bracing consists of a "bent" tube, with a triangulating tube back to the Front Roll Hoop. So does this mean I now have 3 tubes? Or 2? The spreadsheet seems to multiply the A_cross by the number of tubes for the EI calculations. But this does not seem correct at all, and I'm confused as to how I should represet my specific layout in the sheet.
    Also, default "Number of Tubes" for the Side Impact Structure is 3 (1 on top, 1 on bottom, 1 middle triangulating). However, the bottom tube on my frame is bent, so the triangulating tube is essentially 2 tubes in a "V" shape. Is the middle triangulating tube(s) simply represented as 1 tube?

I understand the reasoning behind moving to something like this, as it is indeed more thorough and means less work for the organizers, but it seems like there should be a more thorough "How To" sheet, due to the unfamiliarity from all the teams, especially newer teams.
    I'd love to here some input.
    San Jose State University

FSAE Chassis and Ergonomics Lead '12-'13
    FSAE Chief Engineer '11-'12
    FSAE Chassis Technical Lead '10-'11
    Formula Hybrid Chassis Grunt '09-'10

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing le

I do agree that there should be a better explanation of what terms mean (such as what the number of tubes means).

I did just hear back from the rules committee on some parts though. There was an error where if you put in a square tube in the side impact, it would come up as illegal, but that has been changed.
    Any views or opinions expressed by me may in no way reflect those of Stewart-Haas Racing, Kettering University, or their employees, students, administrators or sponsors.

Is the ymax cell (C50) on the Laminate Test page read-only for anyone else? I can't seem to be able to edit it...

Hi,

I co-authored the SES template, I will check this thread from time to time and implement fixes as teams find problems.

It would be appreciated if you could raise queries/suspected bugs as questions to the FSAE rules committee so we can formally track them though.

Robby - We will discuss how we would like you to handle bent tubes in place of single tubes during the Rules Committee meeting tomorrow and feedback to you as soon as possible.

You are correct that the "number of tubes" refers to the chassis in side view.

I've just double-checked the EI calculations in the front hoop bracing tab, they do not use the calculated cross-sectional area. Although write-protected all the formulae in all the tabs are still visible so you can check how the results are calculated.

I recognise that a more thorough "How to" document would be useful and this is something that I am still working on.

I hope you can appreciate that writing the spreadsheet in itself was a mammoth task completed in free time outside of normal working hours, we didn't want to delay it's release any further waiting for the completion of a thorough "How to" document.

Dsegs - You've found an error in the sheet, V1.0.2 will address this and be released soon.

Regards,

Dan Jones
    Head Technical Judge
    Formula Student UK

This new document is a great way to organize this information. It is definitely a mammoth task to create and debug though.

We have a problem: we cannot paste pictures into the Chassis Pics tab. It is protected. This makes it impossible to post the required pictures.

Does anybody know how to fix it?

On the welded tube inserts tab there should be an option to have "your tube" be a square tube. Currently it is assumed that "your tube" is round. Note, exchanging square tubes for round tubes (of same outer dimension and wall) is not a deviation from the rules.

I've wasted alot of time figuring out how to submit the SES. So far I have gathered that the team captain has to create an account at fsaeonline.com (which requires the "registration order number" also known as "confirmation number" from registration). Now the team captain can sign in, but the link to submit documents cannot be found. Trust me, I've clicked on all the links available. Anybody else figured out how to submit the SES?

After login from fsaeonline.com, go to My Submissions. It should go to a page where you could up load not only SES but also other documents like Impact Attenuator Report, Design Spec Sheet, etc.

Thanks. Some other observations: The submission page can only be accessed by the user registered as team captain, as far as I've discovered. Also, the submission page was just made available Jan 09.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast