+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16

Thread: Formula SAE at MIS 2008 Competition: - Updates, Pictures, Stories, and More.

Lovely, we get 41st place in endurace out of 120 teams and get 0 points in it and fuel economy, darn.

Well, I'm an alumni now so...better luck next year for the team I guess.
    Mike Duwe
    UWP Alumni

Former Drivetrain Leader and Team Captain

If I understand rule 5.7.17 Endurance Scoring Formula right, then every team finishing the endurance must at least get 50 points. Why were they not awarded to the teams finishing endurance at michigan?

Regards,

Tobi
    Regards,

Tobias

Formula Student Germany
    FSE Rules & Organisation
    http://twitter.com/TobiasMic
    http://TobiasMic.Blogspot.com

Not many people know the difference between resolution and accuracy.

Tobi,

take a look at rule "5.7.16 Endurance Scoring" it states "A car will also receive
    an Endurance Finish Score of fifty (50) points if the team's time for the event,
    including penalties, is less than or equal to the maximum allotted time." and the maximum altotted time is Tmax=1.333*Tmin. So basically if you are 1.333 times slower than the fastest car you will not receive points for the event at all.
    Daniel Deussen
    www.weber-motor.de
    Saginaw Valley State University Alum
    Cardinal Formula Racing '99 - '05
    FSAE: 6th in '02 and 8th in '05
    FSG: Member of the Operative Team (Scrutineering, Dynamics)

That's what screwed us this year. This was our first year back at competition with a running car since any of us can remember. Probably '03. We finished all the events, expecting to get a certificate of completion. To our dismay, we found that after the fuel economy penalty (still trying to figure how we used 1.7 gallons) and off-track penalties, we didn't score a single point in the endurance. This was quite disheartening considering we were one of what...40 teams...that finished the endurance?
    Shaun Kapples
    Mechanical Engineer
    Alumni, FSAE at UCF

i remember you guys were at michigan in 05. Didnt know if you guys got your car running or not ... but you guys spared us some brake fluids. Thanks again for that.
    RiNaZ

kapps...we were in the same boat. This is the first time we have had a car compete in, and finish all the dynamic events but we did not get any points due to time penalties and the fuel consumption. I think that they shoulkd modify the scoring scale so if you finish you at least get some points.
    Marketing Director
    Oxford Brookes Racing

"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
    - Earnest Hemingway

Originally posted by RiNaZ:
    i remember you guys were at michigan in 05. Didnt know if you guys got your car running or not ... but you guys spared us some brake fluids. Thanks again for that.
    Yeah, I think we made it to competition in '05 but I don't think we got it running. From what I've heard, we went without a tune on the engine and never got it together. What really disappoints me is that we scored higher last year (without even coming to the competition with a car) than what we did this year with a car that made it through everything.
    Shaun Kapples
    Mechanical Engineer
    Alumni, FSAE at UCF

Originally posted by kapps:
    What really disappoints me is that we scored higher last year (without even coming to the competition with a car) than what we did this year with a car that made it through everything.
    How did that happen?

We had a bunch of team members taking pics and they finally all got posted to flickr. You can find them here: UC pics
    University of Cincinnati
    Alum -> 2003-2008

Originally posted by FATMOUSE:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kapps:
    What really disappoints me is that we scored higher last year (without even coming to the competition with a car) than what we did this year with a car that made it through everything.
    How did that happen? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A couple things. First, low scores in cost, design, etc. Last year, our team leader kept up with the paperwork. This year, he was busy building the car. Second, we had a wiring issue that manifested itself during the skidpad and auto-x. Our ecu would cut out (causing a very loud bang when it turned back on). It sounded like a lean spot in the tune so we were chasing it around until we finally found the loose wires. Luckily, we finally got it sorted for the endurance. Unfortunately, our dedicated member base is pretty small and sacrifices had to be made this year. At least we know what we have to do for next year.
    Shaun Kapples
    Mechanical Engineer
    Alumni, FSAE at UCF

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16