+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Caffeine Addiction

Anybody kick this thing yet? I've been drinking between 8-18 cups of coffee plus pop and water for about 2-3 years. Didn't have any coffee yesterday or today. Had my first case of heartburn yesterday, along with a huge ass headache, and today I've got the worst headache I've had in my life.

From what I understand this is going to go on for about a week. Any suggestions on coping with it? It is literally almost incapacitating me.

5 P.M. and I'm just starting on my 7 page research paper, 2 english paper revisions, and calc. Lots of water, tylonol, and excedrin to get to this point, and it still hurts like a mother.
    Campus policies left students shooting back with camera phones. Life's worth more than pictures.
    www.ConcealedCampus.com

Anybody kick this thing yet? I've been drinking between 8-18 cups of coffee plus pop and water for about 2-3 years. Didn't have any coffee yesterday or today. Had my first case of heartburn yesterday, along with a huge ass headache, and today I've got the worst headache I've had in my life.

From what I understand this is going to go on for about a week. Any suggestions on coping with it? It is literally almost incapacitating me.

5 P.M. and I'm just starting on my 7 page research paper, 2 english paper revisions, and calc. Lots of water, tylonol, and excedrin to get to this point, and it still hurts like a mother.
    Campus policies left students shooting back with camera phones. Life's worth more than pictures.
    www.ConcealedCampus.com

Good luck. I'm afraid to try.
    "It seems like engineers learn a hell of a lot of math just to drive a train..."

Sam Sather
    2008 Team Captain
    Miami University Redhawk Racing
    www.MiamiRedhawkRacing.com

8-18? a day?

I thought I was bad with five or six.

Good luck.

Matt Gignac
    McGill Racing Team

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Flitcraft:

5 P.M. and I'm just starting on my 7 page research paper, 2 english paper revisions, and calc. Lots of water, tylonol, and excedrin to get to this point, and it still hurts like a mother. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why are you trying to fight it? Caffeine is what keeps FSAE leaders alive. I usually drink about 10 glasses of diet coke with my meals. Also, I have 3 Rockstar Triple Strength Energy Drinks/Day. Keeps me going through papers, projects, Design Reports, Cost Reports, etc.
    Tony Sartor
    05'-07' Project Director/Baja Team Motivator
    Iowa State Formula SAE

"Nothing that was good went into that car!"

I've been getting 5 hours of sleep on average for those 2-3 years, no bother.

This last month the consumption has skyrocketed due to the papers and projects, and cut my sleep down to 2-3 hours on average. Last week I went 2 or 3 days with the amount of sleep I got waiting for my spanish class to start.

The sleep is dearly missed, as is the money spent. I need a good holster and I'd like to try a few boxes of Corbon DPX. Looking at about $90 in ammo, $60 to ensure reliability, $30 for carry, and nice IWB leather holster. Shit gets expensive, I'm tellin ya.
    www.ConcealedCampus.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Flitcraft:
    I've been getting 5 hours of sleep on average for those 2-3 years, no bother.

This last month the consumption has skyrocketed due to the papers and projects, and cut my sleep down to 2-3 hours on average. Last week I went 2 or 3 days with the amount of sleep I got waiting for my spanish class to start.

The sleep is dearly missed, as is the money spent. I need a good holster and I'd like to try a few boxes of Corbon DPX. Looking at about $90 in ammo, $60 to ensure reliability, $30 for carry, and nice IWB leather holster. Shit gets expensive, I'm tellin ya. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

2-3 hours?! Damn thats bad... I usually shoot for 5-6 hours. Usually, it catches up on me after a couple of weeks and I shut down for half a Saturday. I know the first week after competition, i'll sleep for 10-12 hours a day.
    Tony Sartor
    05'-07' Project Director/Baja Team Motivator
    Iowa State Formula SAE

"Nothing that was good went into that car!"

I drink way more RedBull than anybody should, partly because it's all we have at the shop usually. (I bought a case of water though today)

I've never had a problem stopping caffeine though. I've had some friends report the same symptoms as you, but caffeine never really has done anything for me.

I would suggest making sure you eat decent food - maybe take a multivitamin. That always helps, especially with the kind of crap college students usually eat (and I'm no exception) and the usual, lots of water.

As for sleep, I'm a lightweight. I have to get a good solid 10 hours a night or I am an absolute zombie. Just ask the other team members about Wes sleeping all the time. It's pretty terrible, I think I inherited sleep apnea.
    Wesley
    OU Sooner Racing Team Alum '09

connecting-rods.blogspot.com

I don't think my addictions were as bad as some of you have described, but I have quit caffeine a few times. I always get migraines off and on for about a week after not having caffeine for the 2nd or 3rd day. I try to take one excedrin migraine if I can feel a headache coming on, and if it gets worse, I take a prescription migraine pill that doesn't have caffeine in it. The excedrin does have caffeine, but just taking a little helps ween me off of it.

Now that I've been off caffeine for about 2 months, I've slept better, wake up more rested and awake (even though I sleep less now), and I don't get any more migraines.

Also, check out this post of ApexSpeed.
    http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21339
    _ _
    Joel Harshbarger
    USF Motorsports

I cut myself back to one cup of coffee per day and now I┬┤m down to zero! Got the bad headaches too, but I┬┤ve found if you drink fruit tea to replace the coffee and eating between 5-7 pieces of fruit per day helps! Does wonders for your bowls as well

To top it all, I went off Alcohol and general sweets too...what pleasures do I have left in life...thankfully a girlfriend. I am one of the few who has one, although, her living in a different country kind of helps
    Everthing you want is just outside your comfort zone!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast