+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Damper CAD files

Anyone have a CAD file of the Ohlin ST-44 damper that they would share? It would need to be in a neutral format (IGES, STEP, etc...)

Thanks,
    Bob

Anyone have a CAD file of the Ohlin ST-44 damper that they would share? It would need to be in a neutral format (IGES, STEP, etc...)

Thanks,
    Bob

I'll probably be doing a model of ours in a day or two. But there are several different lengths and sizes of these dampers, which are you after?
    Pontus Fyhr - Lund University Formula Engineering alumn/assistant FA

I would be interested in the shocks that would accept 2" (51mm) ID springs and a length that is middle of the road. We are early in the design cycle so we will be using this as a place holder in the chassis and suspension design. Once we are further along we will order the dampers and finalize the design.

Thanks,
    Bob

Interesting. The ST44 is that popular? I never got a quote from Ohlins but I would imagine the price per unit would have to be $1000-1500/ea.

If you're early in the design cycle you may want to look at the Cane Creek Double Barrel dampers. Mountain bike dampers, (loosely) based on the TTX40. Four-way adjustable, $550/ea for SAE teams. Easy to package, wide range of adjustability, and superb build quality.

We used them for the first time this year and I think very highly of them, and feel they are a more cost-friendly alternative full-out racecar dampers, which I would have to imagine have a much stiffer rate than one would want on an SAE car, unless you go through and revalve them.
    Colorado FSAE | '05 - '07
    Goodyear Tire & Rubber | '07 - '11
    NASCAR Engineer | '11 - ??

The cost for the ST44 is about 600 dollars. But why anyone would choose the bulky and heavy ST44 compared to the Cane Creek DBs I have a hard time figuring out.
    KTH Racing '03-'08
    Dartmouth Formula Racing '07

What is the weight of the Cane Creek DB? say with and without spring?
    Andrew

Depends on length.. The DBs are avaliable from like 1 in stroke to around 2.5 inches something

Don't have the numbers in my head, but it's like a third or a fourth compared to a ST-44 with similar stroke

But I wouldn't say weight should be deciding factor when it comes to shocks...

The DBs adjustability with it's decoupled comb/reb adjustments are quite spectacular! Love 'em... Although we only have two on the car...
    KTH Racing '03-'08
    Dartmouth Formula Racing '07

This isn't for a FSAE car, it is for a DSR. Would the Cane Creek dampers work for a 1000lb car?

Thanks,
    Bob

That all depends on what wheel rates and damping rates you want and what your installation ratio is etc. I would venture to say yes though, with a MR of close to 1. That's just based on having done the kinetics on this year's car. We had to run about 1.7" wheel travel to 1" damper travel to get the rates at the wheels soft enough.
    Colorado FSAE | '05 - '07
    Goodyear Tire & Rubber | '07 - '11
    NASCAR Engineer | '11 - ??

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast