+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Damper CAD files

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">depends on what wheel rates and damping rates you want and what your installation ratio is etc. I would venture to say yes though, with a MR of close to 1. That's just based on having done the kinetics on this year's car. We had to run about 1.7" wheel travel to 1" damper travel to get the rates at the wheels soft enough. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cane creek might send you some dyno files if you ask nicely... I haven't had a chance to work with the DB personally, but if it is anything like its parent then it should be sweet ass.

Tom, did you ever take those things apart?

As for the ST44, I think its a fine shock and super easy to re-valve. However, if you don't have/know anyone with a dyno I wouldn't recommend guess and check w/shims.

-Bryan
    Bryan Hise

"The price of winning is always the reduction, if not the elimination, of play time. However, since racing is basically playing any way you want to look at it (real people make their livings by doing something they hate), we cant bitch

The ST44 was recomended by someone that I would consider an expert who has a dyno and will be doing the valve work. He does shocks for a living.

Bob

Never pulled a DB1 apart. Was considering doing some revalving and testing at Colorado State but wound up (a) running out of time and (b) making it work with the stock rates.

They send you dyno plots with every damper you buy! They'll also email em to you.

Softest they go is about 20 lb*s/in. Not sure what they max out at and my computer refuses to open pdfs, but its pretty stiff. The range of adjustment is awesome, high and low speed.

Only thing I'd like is to bring the nose down a little bit, then again if you run a closer to 1:1 MR it may work quite well.
    Colorado FSAE | '05 - '07
    Goodyear Tire & Rubber | '07 - '11
    NASCAR Engineer | '11 - ??

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jersey Tom:
    Never pulled a DB1 apart. Was considering doing some revalving and testing at Colorado State but wound up (a) running out of time and (b) making it work with the stock rates.

They send you dyno plots with every damper you buy! They'll also email em to you.

Softest they go is about 20 lb*s/in. Not sure what they max out at and my computer refuses to open pdfs, but its pretty stiff. The range of adjustment is awesome, high and low speed.

Only thing I'd like is to bring the nose down a little bit, then again if you run a closer to 1:1 MR it may work quite well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Tom,

Do you know the weight of the DB? 190-50?
    Andrew

With a 200lb spring, I believe it was something to the tune of 770g.

Matt Gignac
    McGill Racing Team

Thanks Matt,

Thats about half the weight of an ST44 without spring!
    Andrew

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The ST44 was recomended by someone that I would consider an expert who has a dyno and will be doing the valve work. He does shocks for a living. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well then there you go. However, for the 1000lb car, weight and cost of the DB, it might be a better choice. Provided that you can make correct adjustments. 4 ways can be too many ways when you're just getting into things. This explains it best:

"Sometimes I think I would have enjoyed racing more in the days of the friction damper. Since you couldn't do anything much to them or with them, I would have spent a lot less time being confused."

-C Smith.

Tom,

I spoke with cane creek and they strongly suggested no one take apart one of their shocks. That doesn't surprise me given some of the things I have seen. I also haven't bought a set but they were nice enough to send me a graph to evaluate the part. A twin tube like the DB/TTX may also be a pain to bleed by hand. I've never done it, always had a vac machine handy. If you can get it bled well, then taking the nose down in a damper like that is rather easy. Send me a PM and I will lend a few tricks.

-Bryan
    Bryan Hise

"The price of winning is always the reduction, if not the elimination, of play time. However, since racing is basically playing any way you want to look at it (real people make their livings by doing something they hate), we cant bitch

Yea not having taken apart a damper ever, other than a Jupiter 5 after it broke, I wasn't gonna try my hand at taking apart all the goodies and bleeding a 4-way myself. Tony K at CSU would have done such things, so I could sit and watch and say "K. If you break my $550 damper I will hate you forever."
    Colorado FSAE | '05 - '07
    Goodyear Tire & Rubber | '07 - '11
    NASCAR Engineer | '11 - ??

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by B Hise:
    "Sometimes I think I would have enjoyed racing more in the days of the friction damper. Since you couldn't do anything much to them or with them, I would have spent a lot less time being confused."

-C Smith.

-Bryan </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I usually tend to agree with the KISS principal quite strongly, but Carroll Smith penned that quote before data aquisition was common place on racecars. With suspension travel sensors and a damper speed histogram, it's pretty easy to make use of a 4 way adjustable damper (especially one that doesn't really have any crosstalk, like the DB).
    --------------------------
    Matt Giaraffa
    Missouri S&T (UMR) FSAE 2001 - 2005

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I usually tend to agree with the KISS principal quite strongly, but Carroll Smith penned that quote before data aquisition was common place on racecars. With suspension travel sensors and a damper speed histogram, it's pretty easy to make use of a 4 way adjustable damper (especially one that doesn't really have any crosstalk, like the DB). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I totally agree, however there are alot of club/semi-pro guys that don't have data systems. Then theres always the people that don't subscribe to the histogram theory... I've found it to be pretty reliable, but there have been times where I've compromised to get a certain balance in one or two corners.

- Bryan
    Bryan Hise

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast