+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Would You Like Tire Data?

I have posted this same message in two other forums.

Hello everyone, my name is Brian Smith. I am working with a team of five other mechanical engineers on our senior design project. We are currently in the planning stages and are considdering different projects we might build. One of the projects is a tire testing machine. This machine will be attached to the back of a truck and driven in a straight line, maybe on an unused runway. The slip angle of the tire would be varied in lateral force test and the slip ratio would be varied in longitudinal force test (we may decide to do combined loading test). We may decide to record infrared tire temps. We will be able to vary the vertical loading, and camber between test.

These test will probably be used to generate slip angle vs lat force curves and slip ratio vs long force for various normal loadings and camber angles. If temperature is recorded that could also be a plot axis. I think that would be very usefull data to race teams.

I guess the ultimate goal of this would be to come up with the majic tire (Pacejka) coefficients for each tire we test. I also think wet testing would be interesting.

In order for this project to get off the ground, we need to know if people would be willing to donate tires or wheels. We would like to use a 13" tire 6"-10" wide. Idealy we would like to test two different brands of the same size. If you supply anything,tires or wheels, we will send you all of the data, we can put your name on the machine, whatever. You can even have input on what specific data you would like to have say, if you want data for a specific loading. If you supply tires or wheels, we can return them when finnished testing but no gaurantees on the tires being useable.

If you are interested, the university can write you a reciept for a tax credit.

Pictures
    http://tntech.facebook.com/album.php...72&id=52701181

Thanks
    Brian
    What am I talking about???

I have posted this same message in two other forums.

Hello everyone, my name is Brian Smith. I am working with a team of five other mechanical engineers on our senior design project. We are currently in the planning stages and are considdering different projects we might build. One of the projects is a tire testing machine. This machine will be attached to the back of a truck and driven in a straight line, maybe on an unused runway. The slip angle of the tire would be varied in lateral force test and the slip ratio would be varied in longitudinal force test (we may decide to do combined loading test). We may decide to record infrared tire temps. We will be able to vary the vertical loading, and camber between test.

These test will probably be used to generate slip angle vs lat force curves and slip ratio vs long force for various normal loadings and camber angles. If temperature is recorded that could also be a plot axis. I think that would be very usefull data to race teams.

I guess the ultimate goal of this would be to come up with the majic tire (Pacejka) coefficients for each tire we test. I also think wet testing would be interesting.

In order for this project to get off the ground, we need to know if people would be willing to donate tires or wheels. We would like to use a 13" tire 6"-10" wide. Idealy we would like to test two different brands of the same size. If you supply anything,tires or wheels, we will send you all of the data, we can put your name on the machine, whatever. You can even have input on what specific data you would like to have say, if you want data for a specific loading. If you supply tires or wheels, we can return them when finnished testing but no gaurantees on the tires being useable.

If you are interested, the university can write you a reciept for a tax credit.

Pictures
    http://tntech.facebook.com/album.php...72&id=52701181

Thanks
    Brian

don't know if you know about it but someone already did this. While they didn't do this on an actual driving surface it was done on a professionally built test rig at CalSpan (?). Other than that I don't really know so I'll let someone who knows more about what was done fill you in
    Erich Ohlde
    Jayhawk Motorsports
    FSAE 04 - 09

All electrical components and wiring harnesses depend on proper circuit functioning, which is the transmission of charged ions by retention of the visible spectral manifestation known as "smoke". Smo

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">regarding the tire testing </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was on our fsae team and am aware of the TTC. Just thought people might be interested anyways. This could be almost free data if you have a semi used tire.

I think this is a worthwhile endeavor even with TTC data. Doing the test on an actual road surface to me would be invaluable just to see how different it is to a belt test. My main concern would be control of the test conditions (i.e. load, slip, camber, etc...).
    Kettering University FSAE (99 - 03)

Hi Alan,

Sorry to see your boy Paul Tracy didn't do better in Portland last week (I was at the race). Although for driving with a broken back it was a testament to his ability.

I was wondering what the normal path is to getting tire data from tire manufacturers. I'm not a large manufacturer, but I am still trying my best to design a good performing car. Will they even work with me? I noticed emailing their general tech support email is not a good way to go about this (although I cant say I'm surprised)

Do you know a good place to start at Bridgestone? bbrubaker@gmail.com
    -BenB
    '03-05 Oregon State FSAE Alum

Brian,
    Maybe you could team up with BYU.
    They had pretty much the exact same thing on their design boards at West last week:
    James Waltman
    VRI at WWU Alumn
    FSAE 01 to 05
    http://dot.etec.wwu.edu/fsae/

Hi Brian,

Interesting project. Just a few technical questions...

1) Looks like you just brake the wheel, and don't drive it? So I guess you get slip angle data and slip ratio data for braking only, no traction data?
    2) How do you measure and control slip ratio?
    3) How do you measure slip angle, an optical sensor? How do you ensure the truck goes straight?
    4) Looks like you apply vertical load using masses? Do you measure true vertical contact patch load as the tyre and the truck both bounce around?
    5) Looks like there is no damping in the rig except the tyre carcass, is that right?
    6) Are you testing combined slip angle and slip ratio?
    7) Are you testing cambers?

Sorry if that's too many to answer...
    Regards, Ian

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast