+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Who Plays Electric Guitar?

Sweet! That pickup sounds pretty good for $5...lol.

mtg, I realise acoustic guitars and violins etc need a resonating chamber to work and their construction is obviously important to tone. Specifically for solid-body electric guitars though, the only affect on sound as I can see would be if the strings excited the body which in turn forced the strings back (like a two-mass, two-spring, two-damper system). A topic for someone keen enough perhaps. Cheers for the info on wood types though, I did not know that.

I'll post a pic up once it gets back from the workshop... its a Vester body with parts from at least 4 different guitars...what about you guys? I'm thinking of getting another electric to be set up for normal tuning (I use drop-D most of the time)...anyone recommend a good Ibanez or Jackson?

MC
    UQ FSAE Alumni

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by UQ Turbo:
    ...anyone recommend a good Ibanez or Jackson? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've got a Jackson DKMG, paid around £600 a couple of years ago. It's like any other metal/shred guitar - flat thin neck, large cutaways, pointy headstock, floyd rose bridge and a pair of EMG's but is versatile enough for non-metal antics - the carved top gives a bright warm tone when using the neck pickup. For a mid-price guitar it's very well built and has excellent hardware - the ESP equivillent is double the price. At the time of purchase, the only guitar i played that felt better was a £4k PRS. I've never played a decent Ibanez so i can't really compare how they play, but my Jackson sounds as good as any Ibanez and just looks so much better.
    David

Torotrak (Development) Ltd
    University of Newcastle upon Tyne Graduate
    Newcastle Racing 2003-2006

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by UQ Turbo:
    anyone recommend a good Ibanez or Jackson?
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've got one of each- a '94 Ibanez RG570 and a '95 Jackson Kelly Pro. They're both pretty kickass- the Jackson is built a little better, but also cost more.

The wood on a solid body electric does affect the tone in the way you mentioned- the strings are mounted to the body and react vibrations of said strings. If you can imagine an infinitely stiff body versus a body made from a block of rubber, the resulting string vibration will be different. The pickups, well uh "pickup" the vibtration of the strings, etc. So you're right, basically.

When I worked in the repair shop (it was in a now defunct MARS music store), I made a guitar from a one-piece solid slab of mahogany that was 3" thick to experiment with insanse sustain (maybe call it instain?). I traced my Les Paul for the shape and used a Strat neck. It's so heavy it can only be played in short bursts unless you want to go to a chiropractor. The idea was such a huge mass of a body would have crazy sustain and huge sound. Result: crazy sustain and tinny sound. The body doesn't absorb enough high frequency vibration (causing the tinny sound). If I felt ambitious, I'd hollow some it out to try to fix that.

The biggest bummer was the free neck I got was free for a reason. I didn't realise the truss rod was broken until I did a setup on the thing after spending way too much time building it. Dammit.
    --------------------------
    Matt Giaraffa
    Missouri S&T (UMR) FSAE 2001 - 2005

Ooh, yeah I'd imagine a mahogany guitar would just suck the life out of the midrange, being so dense.

A nice light, but hard, wood is good.

I would like to see someone make a balsa guitar though. No sustain, but man would it squeal. Just be very careful with it!
    Wesley
    OU Sooner Racing Team Alum '09

connecting-rods.blogspot.com

Nice one...that sounds like a workout session!

Well, here is a pic as promised. The black one is made up of about 5 different guitars - very thin Steve Vai neck and killer Seymour Duncan. That's my metal axe tuned in drop D.

The blue one is new - a Jackson Dinky. Pretty cheap and almost nasty enough to be annoying - but very simple and tuned the normal way to play other songs. Anyone else got pics?

http://img151.imageshack.us/my.php?i...tars003jf9.jpg

Yeah, but it's nothing you wouldn't see on the shelf for 200 bucks. I did take off the back cover so I could pretend to be Stevie Ray Vaughan.
    Wesley
    OU Sooner Racing Team Alum '09

connecting-rods.blogspot.com

Its not as hard as you think. All it is is just a magnett with wire around it. But i would go with buying it. You try to make it, it may work, but it'll sound like shit.

YOu could try potting them yourself van halen style.

mtg, you probably know the answer to this one... guitar manufacturers are always going on about the type of wood in the neck and body. Honestly, does it make any difference at all? Intuition tell me you could make a guitar out of carbon fibre or PET and it wouldn't make a bit of difference. It's like guitar 'experts' that claim different leads make a different sound.

Cheers again,

MC
    UQ FSAE Alumni </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The type of wood DOES make a difference but this is not to suggest the quality of result depends entirely on high budget wood.
    Anyone remember the Taylor "Packing Crate" guitar?

To prove the design and craftsmanship was as important as the wood Taylor guitars built a guitar from wood from a discarded packing case (complete with nails still in place) and it was generally agreed to sound as good as any other guitar built from exotic woods intended specifically for instrument making.

Cheers , Pete.

I remember the pallet guitar. I've never heard it, but I did hear it sounded pretty good.

I'll believe it, as I own a Taylor 614CE At the time, I wanted to buy the best sounding acoustic guitar we sold at MARS; we also were a Martin and Gibson dealer.
    --------------------------
    Matt Giaraffa
    Missouri S&T (UMR) FSAE 2001 - 2005

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2