+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Oil pressure and lat.G

As this thread was bumped again...

@Rex: I did not have a look at your data again, but can you confirm that the loss of pressure is during cornering?
    A certain loss of pressure at high rpm / rapid engine deceleration can be normal as the CBR's PRV does not close fast enough. Therefore pure engine speed vs. oil pressure diagrams can be misleading.
    Jan Dressler
    07 - 09 High Speed Karlsruhe / UAS Karlsruhe: Engine & Drivetrain Team
    09 - 10 High Speed Karlsruhe / UAS Karlsruhe: Engine & Drivetrain Team Leader
    10 - 13 High Speed Karlsruhe / UAS Karlsruhe: hanging around & annoying the team with random FSAE wisdom
    13 - ?? Gätmo Motorsport

@Jan

From memory, the drops in oil pressure were *after* corners (coming out of a corner), esp after hard braking/deccel.

I had not thought about the PRV closing... if the RPM is high (even though the throttle is closed, and we want the engine to slow down), shouldn't the oil pump still be spinning really fast (geared to RPM), so still should be generating lots of oil pressure (and sucking lots of oil). Hence, the PRV should be open still.... ... ... I just realised what you meant (i.e. as RPM falls, and OilP falls, the PRV doesn't react fast enough). Oops, my bad.
    Rex Chan
    MUR Motorsports (The University of Melbourne)
    2009 - 2012: Engine team and MoTeC Data acquisition+wiring+sensors
    2013 - 2014: Engine team alumni and FSAE-A/FStotal fb page admin/contributer

r.chan|||murmotorsports.com
    rexnathanchan|||gmail.com

Heyho,

do you measure oil pressure up- or downstream of the oil filter and oil cooler?

I just wanted to compare our readings to your graphs and our oil pressure sensor is mounted downstream of oil filter and cooler. I wonder how much the pressure drops across these two.

Our pressure and temperature sensor is mounted at the "oil rail" just below the crankshaft bearings, at this position it was very easy to install them.
    Tilman Schröder
    GETracing Dortmund, alumnus
    University of Technology Dortmund, Germany

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3