+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Frame Jig

I was wondering how many teams out there use a wooden frame jig and how much success they have had with it? It seems that if done properly, it could be a cheap and easy way to get a frame built if you can somehow find a way to keep the wood from swelling and making it rigid enough to where it will not flex when welding

I was wondering how many teams out there use a wooden frame jig and how much success they have had with it? It seems that if done properly, it could be a cheap and easy way to get a frame built if you can somehow find a way to keep the wood from swelling and making it rigid enough to where it will not flex when welding

Wood works ok. It is fine for any first year team, of any team on a tight budget.

We use it in making the roll hoops, and it works just fine. We print out a drawing at 1:1 and make the tubes match it.

Our chassis was done on wood jigs, it was not very stiff on jigging, but for get better tolerances on the brackets/wishbone supports, we used some metals jigs...

I didn't like so much our chassis because the GMAW/MAG welding... but it's easyer and faster for us.

take a look on our site, there are some photos:

www.bombajaracing.com

Best Regards!

Cristiano Ubessi
    Bombaja Racing Team - Fed. Uni. Santa Maria

Tech. Adviser - 2011
    Tech. Leader - 2010

+ Reply to Thread