+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Carbon Tubing

Last season I developed and tested a carbon fibre suspension system and I am working on implementing it this season. Unfortunately the company that supplied us with our composite tubing last season went bust. Has anybody used or know a reliable company/manufacturer that provides a good product?

Thanks

Craig

McMaster-Carr sells carbon tubing (and fabric and a few other things). I think the tubing is pre-hardened and comes in a variety of sizes. If you call them they can probably tell you specifics about the tubing. They are normally really helpful with things like that. I've never used it before, but I came accross it once.
    -BenB
    '03-05 Oregon State FSAE Alum

just for future reference, what company was it that went out of business? Here are two I know of, possibly one of which you are referring to.

www.carbonfibertubeshop.com - crazy, i know

www.cstcomposites.com - from what I've seen on their site, they have excellent materials, but I have heard it is very pricey and in Australia. Some of the windings they make are straight-up sexy.

Just a word of advice. Be sure to avoid pultruded tubes if you can, because they have a considerably lower carbon/resin ratio than wound tubes. I have seen wound tubes with carbon/resin ratios around 95%. Pultruded is more common, and likely what you will find at McMaster, but it cant hurt to investigate.

Check here for carbon tubes:

http://www.acp-composites.com/acp-tube.htm

We have had good luck with them.
    Damon Lemmon
    UCSD FSAE
    Triton Racing 2005-2008

BenB. Last season we used Woolmer Forest Composites, the company went bust or something like that, they have been taken over now but dont do the size tubing that we need. Thanks for all your help guys

Craig,

Try Carbonology.com. We've found them to be quite useful and helpful etc in the past

Regards

Alastair
    Alastair Clarke
    Cardiff Racing
    CARDIFF UNIVERSITY, UK
    www.cardiffracing.com

We have used Mclean Quality Composites for the past 2 years. They have many stock sizes to pick from and offer cheap (relatively) pricing.

Maclean Quality Composites

Ryan Hetrick
    Lehigh University FSAE
    Brakes, Chassis, Suspension

Delft has been using tubing from Prince fibre tech. Located in the Netherlands, so I am not sure about shipping costs, but we are very pleased with their quality and support. And they are relatively cheap as well!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast