+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Clutch Life

Hi all,

Just wondering what sort of life span other teams get out of their clutches?, particularly CBR F4i runners. Ours let go at a recent display event after less than 100km. We were thrashing it around a bit but it was very wet so I dunno how much that would have effected it. Also, is it worth using racing clutches?

Andy

Hi all,

Just wondering what sort of life span other teams get out of their clutches?, particularly CBR F4i runners. Ours let go at a recent display event after less than 100km. We were thrashing it around a bit but it was very wet so I dunno how much that would have effected it. Also, is it worth using racing clutches?

Andy

Since we get ours in unknown condition from stock bikes, it's hard to say. We did about 100 acceleration runs (with hard launches and tall gearing) one day, it was slipping pretty good the next day. Our car sounded like it had a CVT It was pretty burnt when we pulled it out.
    Alumni, University of Washington
    Structural / Mechanical Engineer, Blue Origin

We did 3 weeks of practice/testing before competition, the actual competition, a full summer of autocrossing with 3-4 drivers per event plus some practice/goof-off sessions with some drivers who don't exactly shift like pros. I think the clutch was starting to slip after that, but we blew the diff and the car was garaged at that point.

Engine was a 99 Yamaha R6.
    Lehigh Formula SAE 1999-2004

+ Reply to Thread