+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New book: How to Build Motorcycle-engined Racing Cars

I just found out that there is a new book. It's likely for SCCA Formula D & C cars. I haven't read it, but will be ordering it soon.

Publisher link: http://www.veloce.co.uk/shop/products/productDetail.php...ac1efe07b1708cca2184
    Dan De Clute-Melancon
    Iowa State FSAE alumni
    Project Manager 03-04
    Engine Team Leader 02-03

I just found out that there is a new book. It's likely for SCCA Formula D & C cars. I haven't read it, but will be ordering it soon.

Publisher link: http://www.veloce.co.uk/shop/products/productDetail.php...ac1efe07b1708cca2184
    Dan De Clute-Melancon
    Iowa State FSAE alumni
    Project Manager 03-04
    Engine Team Leader 02-03

Looking at the vehicle on the front cover, overdone crash protection for the drivetrain, and the driver can make his own arrangements.

University of Houston
    Cullen College of Engineering Alum

Thanks for the pointer, Dan! I ordered it from spamazon on Friday afternoon. Their web site said it was out of stock, and estimated a shipping date in mid-September. Long story short, I just tripped over it while walking into my front door today (next business day), despite the claimed back-order and opting for the free 5-day snail's crawl shipping.

The back cover says that it's written to describe the construction of (British) Hillclimb and Sprint cars, but hints that it would be useful to other applications without mentioning SCCA sports racers and FSAE cars specifically. I just quickly thumbed through it, and saw pictured of a disassembled Quaife LSD, two full pages of thumbnail-sized pictures of different style formula car rear uprights, and complete chapters on both spaceframe construction and aluminum-honeycomb monocoque fabrication.

I haven't read more than a few random paragraphs yet, so I can't really review the book other than to say that it might be useful to hand out to freshmen team members if nothing else, or maybe as a primer for new teams looking for where to start their project.....

I just got my copy of "How to Build Motorcycle-Engined Racing Cars" through Amazon and it is great!

I think every team should have at least one copy to be required reading for all team members. It is a British book and has nothing to do with SCCA requirements. As stated it is primarily focused on Hill climbing events but the car build applies to all racing.

The author has built several cars using MC engines so it is nice to read a well written book by someone who has, and is, doing it himself. It is not a book to tell you how to build the car but it presents a variety of ways of doing things and offers some great ideas.

I have just started reading it after skimming through the chapter on building a differential. And the chapter on adapting the engine to car use. I like his suggestion (which I already have done) to leave the entire bike harness connected until you get it running, including using the stock ignition key, and then if you want, thin out the unneeded wires. This avoids the problems so many have trying to get the engine running by making up their own wiring.

All very good information and well worth the money.

He does mention the various types of construction but focuses on steel tube space frame and aluminum honeycomb monocoque, the materials he is familiar with and has built cars with. Leaving the CF to other writers. Also missing is anything on body work. Good for him! There are many books already available on building bodywork. One other nice feature is the chapter on commissioning. Tuning the car and preparing it for competition.

Highly recommended.
    If you haven't already, order a copy!

James

I just finished reading it cover to cover, and think that it should be required reading for anyone who has never built a car before! The thing that I liked most is that he shares a lot of base line figures for what works in his cars, as well as "sanity checks" for material and hardware sizes so that you can quickly determine if your own calculations are in the ballpark. I found myself scratching 4 pages of notes about all kinds of different things that were covered. As an added bonus, it's actually an enjoyable book to read....

Beware "he shares baseline figures" I remember the Pashley articles in Race Tech when he originally built the car and the problem is that they're full of rules of thumb - that's not to say that's a bad thing, we all need to make simplifying assumptions. But that's not the same as just copying random numbers from other people.

The worst thing you can do in the design event is say "Claude Rouelle said..." or "This book/paper/F1 design did it like this..."

I think this book has relatively little value for FSAE.

Ben
    -

Ben,

Have you read the book before you dismiss it out of hand?

What would you recommend as an alternative "primer" for new team members who have relatively little experience?
    Alastair Clarke
    Cardiff Racing
    CARDIFF UNIVERSITY, UK
    www.cardiffracing.com

I really like the book and do recommend it for all teams. No, not for the experienced members but for new members so they have a good all around idea of what is involved. It is not too technical so it will not likely confuse and frustrate new people, yet there are many good ideas and suggestions that will benefit all teams.

I have bought hundreds of dollars worth of books on car/suspension design and building and while a few only merited a quick read through and then went on eBay, I don't think there was even one that I did not learn something from.

His book does not tell you how to build a car, just what all is involved in building one with a bike engine. You would still need a lot of additional information from other books on things like basic suspension layout principles, but his focus is more on the motorcycle engine application that other books do not address.

I feel this book has relatively GREAT value for FSAE teams. The newer and less experienced the team and/or members, the more relevant and beneficial the book is.

My 2c
    James

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast