+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: simulink model of R6

hi

does anyone have a simulink model of a yamaha R6 engine?? or does anyone know how to create one??

cheers

hi

does anyone have a simulink model of a yamaha R6 engine?? or does anyone know how to create one??

cheers

simulink?????? wow thats a new request!
    Mike Duwe
    UWP Alumni

Former Drivetrain Leader and Team Captain

yeah...I hope you're not trying to make a numerical model of the engine on your own...if you value time and usable results that is
    Dr. Adam Witthauer
    Iowa State University 2002-2013 alum

Mad Scientist, Gonzo Racewerks Unincorporated, Intl.

well im trying to make a simulink model of a car accelerating for 20seconds. the idea is to show the differences in performance between a normal geared car and a car with a CVT. seems to work, but the engine that i made is rather dodgy, though seems to give the right out puts.

it sounds like what you need is a torque curve for an R6 engine in FSAE trim. Search the forums and you may be able to find the relevant info for your model.

-Bryan
    Bryan Hise

"The price of winning is always the reduction, if not the elimination, of play time. However, since racing is basically playing any way you want to look at it (real people make their livings by doing something they hate), we cant bitch

"Man, I need to practice more!" - Kenny Wallace
    "Try not to have a good time... this is supposed to be educational." - Charles M Schulz
    -OptimumG 2005-2006
    -Turner Motorsports 2008-2009
    -Black Swan Racing 2010 & 2011 Team and Driver's Champions
    -HPD Race Engineer 2011-2014
    -Currently Freelance Data/Race Engineer

Tom888, I do know how to model an engine in Simulink/Matlab, as i have done so myself. I can give you a rough outline as to what to do, but it'll take longer than the couple of minutes i have to write this post, so it'll have to wait until tomorrow. In the mean time, if you can tell me what data, or resources for gathering data (e.g. R6 engine on a dyno, ready to go), that would be most useful.

Asside, if you're researching CVT, google my employer and have a look at IVT also.

Adambomb, although developing a full engine model from scratch is not particularly useful if you want imediate reliable results to base your FSAE design on, it is certainly not a waist of time. From personal experience, i can assure you that the problems involved will teach you enough about engines, Matlab and Simulink to make the time spent on R&D more than worthwhile. Afterall, FSAE is still an educational exercise, not proffesional racing.
    David

Torotrak (Development) Ltd
    University of Newcastle upon Tyne Graduate
    Newcastle Racing 2003-2006

Agreed, given Tom's 2nd post it sounds much more feasible, that's some critical info left out of the first one! I believe js10coaster's post sums up what the problem looked like without the details. Moral: ask a vague question, get a vague answer.

With that out of the way...sounds like an interesting project though. I imagine it would be relatively simple, probably just need vehicle mass, drive ratios, torque curve, and maybe some simplified tire data if you wanted to go that deep. Make a quick and dirty algorithm for launch and shifting, and voila!
    Dr. Adam Witthauer
    Iowa State University 2002-2013 alum

Mad Scientist, Gonzo Racewerks Unincorporated, Intl.

basically i need an engine that has throttle and load (from car) as inputs, and torque and rpm as outputs.
    ive adapted a model from a far larger engine, but when i add the load from the car the engine goes crazy. without any load it gives the right torque/rpm curve.

the way ive designed the car (everything without the engine), is that it gets torque and rpm from the engine, goes through the transmission and down to the ground. the rpm is to control the CVT ratio. torque is used to find the car's motion. (ive added a function to work out rolling resistance air resistance etc). the car then sends the load back to the engine.

David, as of yet our R6 engines are still being rebuilt so i dont have the data for them but im using the data from our CBR 600F4 engines and they give a max torque of 62Nm at 10100rpm.
    i was actually going to use an IVT but the uni prefered me to buy a CVT (ive also used CVTs in mini Baja so have that little bit of added knowledge there). IVT does seem to look more reliable though.
    thanks for all your help so far. very much appreciated...

tom...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast