+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Taylor Race CV joints

Hi,

Do you know how much torque a Taylor Race CV joint could resist.

It will be for an formula hybrid system and with the electric motor and ICE, we have a torque of 820 Nm to a wheel.

Thank you

Their FSAE Tripod should be sufficient. We used them and custom made the housings from 7075. The stubaxle is a pain, though.

Why so much torque? Trade that for some !SPEED!
    "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement."

BTW...does all of it go to one wheel??

Do you think your tires will be able to react 820NM from a standstill?

Best,
    Drew

Northwestern Formula Racing Alum
    Head Engineer, Frame/Suspension 2006-2009

My '73 Saab 99 Road Race Build

Originally posted by Drew Price:
    Formula Hybrid cars are heavy. I saw a couple teams with cars over 800 lbs.!

Assuming a *light* 600 lb. hybrid, this torque would only be about 1.2g.

Originally posted by Drew Price:
    Does torque exceeding what your tires can handle magically disappear? Anything the tires can't handle goes into the inertia of the wheel and drivetrain components. If your tires can only handle half the torque you're trying to give them, the other half goes to inertia. Still transmitting 100% of your torque.

I talked to a GM engineer/judge at comp this past year and he told me that the difference in torque they measured when you do a clutch drop with tires on the ground vs. tires on wet ice is only 20%, meaning that roughly 80% of your torque is going to inertia, not tires. Granted, their wheels/tires are bigger than ours but still...

When I was testing our carbon axles, I broke a TRE FSAE tripod (center part split open; crack started from the spline) at just 500 Nm. It was after about 100'000 cycles, though.
    In the static test, the tripods survived 1100 Nm.

So I would strongy advise against using these for 800 Nm.

Regards,
    Thomas

Thank you to all

So, our ICE could give 190 Nm and the electric motor 82 Nm at peak. Also, we have a speed ratio of 4:1 between the motor shatf and the differential. It gives 1088 Nm at the differential and a Torsen T1 could put 75 % of the total torque to one wheel. So a wheel could take 816 Nm.

Thanks Hector.....

The newest version of the 02002011 tri-pod has a forged center. These dudes are rated at 1700Nm.
    I see wheel spin way before this....I would have to say at least half of the hybrid teams have been running them since the beginning of the program.

scotty
    Taylor Race.
    scotty
    Taylor Race
    scotty@taylor-race.com
    taylor-race.com

Originally posted by scotty young Taylor Race:
    Thanks Hector.....

The newest version of the 02002011 tri-pod has a forged center. These dudes are rated at 1700Nm.
    I see wheel spin way before this....I would have to say at least half of the hybrid teams have been running them since the beginning of the program.

scotty

Taylor Race.
    Do you also have a solution for the halfshaft because the one you sold could only resist to 600 Nm.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast