+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: KAWASAKI KLF Differential

Yeah, bikebandit.com is a huge help. I've used it to look at hubs as well.

And actually, I have gone through looking at diffs one by one. I knew the certain range of what I was looking for, but couldn't remember the exact model or year. I made sure to write it down when I found what I wanted though.
    Jerry Harding
    University of South Florida - Formula SAE
    Engine/Drivetrain

What is that lever/cam for, turning it on/off the front drivetrain or is it for locking it to make it a "spool"?
    Mike Duwe
    UWP Alumni

Former Drivetrain Leader and Team Captain

i would say to lock it. the older model KLFs (the ebay link and the first schematic link) didn't have a salisbury by the looks of the drawings, and an ATV with an open only diff would be pretty useless.

i'm still trying to wrap my head around how the locking mechanism actually engages, and the poor quality pic doesnt help much. any ideas?
    John Valerio
    Queen's FSAE
    http://engsoc.queensu.ca/formulacar/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Valerio:
    i'm still trying to wrap my head around how the locking mechanism actually engages, and the poor quality pic doesnt help much. any ideas? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    That 'C' shaped thing '13140' twists when you turn the lever '13160' and forces the '150?5' thing which is splined to one output shaft into the castellated part of the housing '11012' thus locking the diff...!
    Regards, Ian

Beside Kawasaki KLF Differential, any other atv diff you guys think might suit our application?
    I found this on www.BikeBandit.com -

http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/oe...5FGW+GRIZZLY+450.asp

The diff is not shown in exploded view likes other parts. Do you guys think this is a salisbury diff? Anyone has any experience on this?

If you are interested, go to a dealership that sells the brand of atv this thing is in, and ask them to look at the service manual and make some copies of the parts.

The drawing you have is just from the parts book, the service books should have acutal images of the parts.
    Mike Duwe
    UWP Alumni

Former Drivetrain Leader and Team Captain

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by drivetrainUW-Platt:
    If you are interested, go to a dealership that sells the brand of atv this thing is in, and ask them to look at the service manual and make some copies of the parts.

The drawing you have is just from the parts book, the service books should have acutal images of the parts. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The country that I am in has no atv dealer. That is why I need some you guys' advice in these matters.But, thanks for your advice anyway.

With regard to the link that I posted - http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit...RIZZLY+450.asp

It is a differential from Yamaha atv (item 12 in the drawing). Anyone here knows whether it is a salisbury? Thanks for the help from you guys again.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paikia:
    I was inspired by FSAE team from University of Michigan - Ann Arbor. I saw this type of diff mentioned in their design board. Are you saying that this KLF diff is not a LSD diff? Are they clucth packs in the diff? Could anyone from Michigan - Ann Arbor provide info for me? I appreciate that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is a Salisbury Diff. Beware that ones you get off ebay often have extremely worn clutch plates.
    John Hooff
    M Racing Formula SAE Team
    University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
    2008 Drivetrain Team Leader

paikia, why do you think that the best way to make a car is to do what another team does? The entire point of this competition is to force yourself to learn by doing it yourself.

And yes, if you saw Michigan during endurance (the whole 7 minutes we were out there), you'd definitely have noticed that the clutch plates in our diff were worn. The inside tire was very vocal (and smoky) on track.
    "Gute Fahrer haben die Fliegenreste auf den Seitenscheiben."
    --Walter Röhrl

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by flavorPacket:
    paikia, why do you think that the best way to make a car is to do what another team does? The entire point of this competition is to force yourself to learn by doing it yourself.

And yes, if you saw Michigan during endurance (the whole 7 minutes we were out there), you'd definitely have noticed that the clutch plates in our diff were worn. The inside tire was very vocal (and smoky) on track. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am sorry. I think that was not what I meant. I have never thought that the best way is to copy. I am learning and I will do it myself. The whole point of my posting is to learn from those who have experiences in doing salisabury diff. I need professional advices, not some unconstructive comments.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast