+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Motorcycle renting in Germany

We're going to Formula Student Germany this year and I was planning to go by the Nurburgring after the competition. I'm trying to find a place where I could rent a sport motorcycle (let's say a 600 so I'll still have a chance to survive the course). Has anybody done this before or knows a place I could rent motorcycles? I'm not sure also that my motorcycle license is valid in Germany. Does someone knows what type of license you need to drive a sport bike in Germany?

We're going to Formula Student Germany this year and I was planning to go by the Nurburgring after the competition. I'm trying to find a place where I could rent a sport motorcycle (let's say a 600 so I'll still have a chance to survive the course). Has anybody done this before or knows a place I could rent motorcycles? I'm not sure also that my motorcycle license is valid in Germany. Does someone knows what type of license you need to drive a sport bike in Germany?

Driving with rented cars (or bikes as well I guess) is usually a pretty bad idea (especially if it's rented in Germany or any nearby country). I've heard about people being fined up to several thousand euros for driving a rental car on the ring.

However there are a couple of specialized car rentals that focuses on car especially prepared for the ring (such as: http://www.rent4ring.de/index....id=5&no_cache=1&L=1). I haven't heard of any bike rentals, but I'm pretty sure Google can give you the answers.
    KTH Racing '03-'08
    Dartmouth Formula Racing '07

I'm no expert on this, but I did have a co-worker who lived in Germany for awhile. I'm pretty sure he said the there were different levels of motorcycles licenses that allowed you to ride different classes of bikes. I think it took him a couple of years to get the license required to ride a sport bike - driving laws in Germany are really strict, at least compared to the US.
    Damon Pipenberg
    gt motorsports 2006-2010

Uhhh,

this could be a quite hard task here in Germany. There are some major problems:
    - Like mentioned before the german traffic law is very strict. You can earn a license with 16 to drive up till 125cc bikes with 80kph top speed. With 18 you can have a motorcycle license for any bike but you have to restrict it to 34hp. After a waiting time of 2 years you are allowed to drive any motorcycle. Another way is to gain your license with 25+. By doing so you can drive any motorcylce.
    I don't know the regularities but I thnik it will be quite hard to to drive an unrestricted 600cc bike with a foreign license.
    - I never heard of a motorcycle renting in Germany which allows to drive on racetracks for bikes. In fact motorcycles have a quite bad reputation in Germany so you only have very few people who will rent you a bike even for street purposes.
    - I wouldn't suggest to drive on the ring with a motorcycle if you don't have the biggest experience... Beneath the legendary reputation of the ring it is to mention that motorcycles and cars are on the track simultaneously. With a cars much better decelerations (especially when you look at a downforce generating sportscar) you are quite in a danger in every single corner if you havent kicked the cars butt on the last corners exit

Why don't you like to take some laps directly in Hockenheim? It is good fun to drive there on a motorcycle, especially the Motodrome is very tricky and demanding. Or we'll meet and I show you some beautiful low mountain streets often used for hillclimb events between Frankfurt and Stuttgart

@dart-cg - sounds interesting , how far is it from hockenheim.
    Hiren G Patel

FS – Orion Combustion (Founder Member)
    -------Prototype '06
    -------Powertrain Lead '06 '07 '08 '09
    -------Composites guy '10
    -------Technical Director '10
    -------Technial Advisor/Mentor '12

Not that far, aaprox. 80km. Would be fun though...

I actually been driving a 600cc sportbike for the last 4 years (exluding my 8 monts probation period), so I'll have to check if it can be found equivalent in Germany. Believe me, I know the risks of driving on this track and I don't really planned to go there to break the lap record, just driving on that mythical circuit will be enough for me. I like your suggestions DART-CG, I'll check it out with you when we'll have our plane tickets bought and our schedule fix so I'll know how much free time I'll have in Germany. Although, like I said, I'll have to rent a bike since I'm from Montreal and I don't think the team will let me pack my bike with the car, lol.

+ Reply to Thread