+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: "Motorcyle" vs. "Car" Motor Oil

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Itty bitty, did your friend tell you which mobil one to use? When you buy mobil one be careful because the ones with a green cap have the additives that can hurt your clutch, only use mobil one red cap.
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Mobil 1 suggested to us was the Extended Performance 15W-50...it's got a yellow cap. I don't think Mobil 1 makes 15W-50 with a red cap.

-Nika

Well, mobil 1 makes one specifically for motorcycles, so I assume you're not talking about that one (i cant remember what cap color it has). I went to a bike shop this weekend and the guy charges $10.50 a quart for mobil one motorcyle oil . That is just insane. Our dry sump system holds around 5 quarts - there is no reason why an oil change should cost over 50 bucks. Does anyone here happen to have a list of what car synthetic oils dont have the additives that will thrash your wet clutch? I have some valvoline full synthetic 20w-50 and i'm wondering if it will be OK.
    Devin Weston
    Oregon State FSAE
    Engine Team '04-'06

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by IttyBitty:
    [QUOTE]I don't think Mobil 1 makes 15W-50 with a red cap.

-Nika </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use red capped 15W50 in my car.
    Martin Raska
    UBC FSAE 2003-2007
    www.formulaubc.com

We also use the mobil 1 15w-50 car oil, it has a red cap. If we use anything else we tend to blow motors.
    '01-'06 Cal Poly Pomona

oh, well thanks, good to know...I didn't see any when I went to buy our oil and I didn't see it on their website...so I thought they didn't make it.
    http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...lean_5000.aspx

-Nika

A safe bet on whether or not a car oil will hurt your wet clutch is by looking for this seal on the bottle, front or back. If this seal isn't there, it means the additives that hurt wet clutches aren't in the bottle.

We use Motul 300V... Extremly expensive, it's made for superbike... Considering the stress of an FSAE engine, i don't think that spending an extra 20$ is a problem.

Why spend thousands of dollars and thousands of hours on an engine and buy 5$ oil... Even if it's only 0,1% more reliable, it's worth it.

Local bike shops will be pretty happy to make a big discount on high performance oil for an FSAE car. If you're lucky their distributors might have a sponsorship program for products.
    Formula SAE Laval
    Engine Team Leader

I agree that it is worth spending extra money on an engine that one has spent tons of hours on, but only if it is justified. No matter how much you love your engine, you're still "taking it in the butt" if you're buying something for $10 a quart that is essentially the same thing that sells for $5 a quart.
    Devin Weston
    Oregon State FSAE
    Engine Team '04-'06

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2