+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The heaviest car

Our first hybrid weighed in at over 900 I believe...does that count?

straight FSAE, though, I'd be surprised if anybody went over 700. In 04 we built a car that was really beefy and it cracked the scales at 530 or so. We may get close to that this year but we'll see...

I'd be curious to know what the lightest FSAE car ever built weighed in at...anybody know?

We had a tank in 1997. It was also our first car to enter FSAE which weighed in at over 825 lbs. We called it the alumatank and actually still runs today....just a little slower than the others.
    "If Speed wasn't important, it wouldn't be called the Human Race." -Saleen

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael Hart:
    Our first hybrid weighed in at over 900 I believe...does that count?

straight FSAE, though, I'd be surprised if anybody went over 700. In 04 we built a car that was really beefy and it cracked the scales at 530 or so. We may get close to that this year but we'll see...

I'd be curious to know what the lightest FSAE car ever built weighed in at...anybody know? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remeber hearing about a car that weighed in around the 130-135kg mark. From memory it was from delft university, in the euro circuit.

Le High (sp?) had there "shifter kart with suspension" back in 04 that was around 304lbs if I remember correctly.
    Mike Duwe
    UWP Alumni

Former Drivetrain Leader and Team Captain

Our first car in 2001 was probably in the ballpark of 700+ lbs.

I've never even seen that car run, only a chopped up frame and some pictures.

Crimson Racing
    The University of Alabama
    http://www.sae.eng.ua.edu/fsae

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by benjo:

I remeber hearing about a car that weighed in around the 130-135kg mark. From memory it was from delft university, in the euro circuit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

129 kg (wet) to be exact. FSUK 2004, Delft University. Fast car, failed to finish enduro though (stupid electronics!!)

MH

Ok Ok.. (chiming in for Ferris) yes our fisrt year car in 2006 did weigh in at a beefy 789 lbs. I have heard of some others that have been heavier but not too many recently. In our defense, it was our first year, the team itself was put together late in the season and design was non existant.

A lot has changed since then... our 2007 car weighed in at a much improved 469 lbs and our 2008 car is even lighter... THANKS JENNY CRAIG!!!

thanks for the positive comments.

PS we just brought that chassis out of storage and had a good laugh.
    Erik O.
    Ferris State University

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MH:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by benjo:

I remeber hearing about a car that weighed in around the 130-135kg mark. From memory it was from delft university, in the euro circuit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

129 kg (wet) to be exact. FSUK 2004, Delft University. Fast car, failed to finish enduro though (stupid electronics!!)

MH </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

damn that's light...I'm fairly certain that our block and frame alone get close to that number (the inline 4 is powerful but heavy...someday I wish we'd move to a lighter motor but who knows...)

Instead of asking about the lightest car, me thinks that the proper question is to ask if anyone knows the lightest car THAT EVER COMPLETED THE ENDURO.

Sooner or later, those missing bits trimmed to save a few pounds/kilograms are going to come back to haunt the designers.....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by vreihen:
    Instead of asking about the lightest car, me thinks that the proper question is to ask if anyone knows the lightest car THAT EVER COMPLETED THE ENDURO.

Sooner or later, those missing bits trimmed to save a few pounds/kilograms are going to come back to haunt the designers..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

RMIT 07, 155kg by thier stats?

06 snapped the steering shaft and failed in the last round, but was 149kg, IIRC.
    ---------------------------
    2006 QUT Motorsport - Manufacturing Manager
    2007 QUT Motorsport - Controversy Raiser
    2008 University of Waterloo Formula Motorsports - Exchange Student / Electrical Team Manager
    2009 The University of Adelaide Motorspo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast