+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Front Breaks

Hi, I'm in charge of front brakes. I need some help getting started. Any good sites or advice / info ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi, I'm in charge of front brakes. I need some help getting started. Any good sites or advice / info ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

here is something for starters read the tech papers from the stop tech and brake tech websites.The websites should be easy to find. Books out on the subject are pretty much out of date except they do give some small amount of information on calculation and understanding of how brake balance works. I am new to brakes this year as well, but I have plenty of help from current team members and or comp programs from previous teams to guide me a little.
    Auburn 2005 Brakes

Brake design is funny, in that there's actually no science or math behind it. Most often teams just use whatever is donated, then focus on aesthetics, i.e. paint the calipers a nice colour and polish the rotors.

Hope this helps,

Nate
    Nate
    University of Windsor FSAE
    http://www.fsae.uwindsor.ca
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada

great advice nate...

I didnt think Canadians had a sence of humor. Or were you being serious?
    What am I talking about???

The stoptech website that chase mentioned its one of my favorites. The other one is "Tune to win" from Carol Smith.

We designed and builted our calipers and brake rotors.. and master cylinders, yeeah, I know. we are insane!
    Alejandro Rondon
    Universidad Simon Bolivar
    www.formulasae.grupos.usb.ve

man i hope he wasn't serious cause that is plain retarded.
    Auburn 2005 Brakes

I was just 'taking the piss' as they say, since Lash is on my team.

Nate the Brake Master
    Nate
    University of Windsor FSAE
    http://www.fsae.uwindsor.ca
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada

i would definitely create a spread sheet where you can plug everything in. they get tedious, but the math isnt that bad, just do kinematics stuff to get from the force applied by the foot, down to the force and displacement on the master cylinder. then swich to fluid mech, and back to statics, to find the torque on the wheel. everything will fall out from there, including a better understanding of the system . i measured that a good force for lockup (foot pushing on the pedal) is about a hundred pounds, and the hardest a driver can push, is around 450lbs. that should get you started. carrol smiths, tune to win is good. just remember to make the pedal assemblies way stiffer than you think they should be, any defflection makes for a mushy pedal.
    jack
    College dropout extraordinaire
    (formerly WWU Rev-Hone Racing)

There's a good chapter on brakes in Paul Van Valkenburgh's book "Race Car Engineering & Mechanics" which goes through a brake sizing calculation in a relatively simple and easy to follow manner.

Other than that, I found the best thing to do was to use Excel as Jack said to answer all the "what if" type questions - i.e. what happens if I use a particular size of caliper, or different master cylinder sizes etc.

One word of warning - don't use motorcycle calipers - they're specifically designed to NOT be able to lock up the rear wheels of a bike - the exact opposite of what we want.
    Alastair Clarke
    Cardiff Racing
    CARDIFF UNIVERSITY, UK
    www.cardiffracing.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast