+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: help me

Do you guys realize that the University of Guelph doesn't even have a Mechanical or Aerospace department!

This team finished 15th or something in 2004 with a TRICK setup. The only engineering programs they have are Biological, Systems & Computing, Environmental, and Water Resources.

If tree-huggers and computer geeks can finish 15th in Pontiac then ChemE's can surely be of help on any team.
    Carleton FSAE Alumni
    Petty Enterprises Race Engineer

Originally posted by Flash:
    Why not look at developing a "dope" for what ever tyres you are using? There could potentially be some big gains to be made, and it would be right up a chemical engineers alley.

I would love someone to develop an additive for me to modify the tyre for autocross, and use the same tyre compound untreated, or with a different dope, for enduro.
    I seem to remember tire doping was not aloud....
    Cheers

-Some people need to get an ice-cream sandwich,
    -Cement Legs needs to get an ice-cream sandwich

Traction additives are allowed if they are applied to the tires previous to static judging.
    Josh Gillett
    Oregon State FSAE '04-'06

The tire softener rule always seemed quite ambigous. It should probably be clarified. The spirit of the rule I beleive is that you should run basically the same tire in endurance as in autocross. However the rules say no tire soaking after technical inspection. So you could soak your tires and in autox they'd be softer and by endurance time they'd be a bit harder just because they were soaked less recently. Pretty good right? Of course there has been no enforcement of the rule so you could likely soak your autox only and not get caught. But in a competition like this you'd like to think that there is no blatant cheating going on.
    mmmm..... Garlic.

There is nothing in the rules to say you can not dope tyres before the competition, nor is there anything to say you cannot run more than one set of tyres, as long as they are the same type. The only grey area I see is whether you are altering the compound of the tyre by using dope, in which case it would be illegal to have one set doped and one not. However what if you had one set heavily doped and one set only slightly doped?

Of course, the problem with this is finding a dope that is of benefit to your tyre.
    Matt Houston
    Chief Engineer
    FSAE-NZ 2005

I have not read to rule in a while either, but I thought it was worded something like "altering the tire is not allowed."

And I think a change in performance capabilities counts as altered.

However, I am curious about so-called "siping" of the tires. I wonder if there is any benefit in siping slicks.
    -David Y

LOBOMotorsports '03-'05
    Stanford Formula for 2007

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2