+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Damper Dyno / Shock Dyno Motor Choice

I am starting a Damper Dyno build in a little under a month and have been looking for a compatible motor.

I have found a 4KW Brook/Opperman unit geared to give an output speed of 231.00 rpm. It has a D112 mount and costs £370.00.

My plan is to power it with a 5KW VFD (Variable Frequency Drive) through a single phase mains outlet. If anyone with any experience building or testing on a cranked damper dyno has any advice or suggestions I would be very interested and grateful to hear them.

Thanks.

Originally posted by FIREotter:
    I am starting a Damper Dyno build in a little under a month and have been looking for a compatible motor.

I have found a 4KW Brook/Opperman unit geared to give an output speed of 231.00 rpm. It has a D112 mount and costs £370.00.

My plan is to power it with a 5KW VFD (Variable Frequency Drive) through a single phase mains outlet. If anyone with any experience building or testing on a cranked damper dyno has any advice or suggestions I would be very interested and grateful to hear them.

Thanks.
    Get one with enough power to crank it over. You don't need to spin it very fast either. If it can meet those two criteria you're set. Our motor in our dyno has to try for a couple of seconds to get up to RPM because it is so weak, but it works once it's going.
    Trent Strunk
    University of Kansas
    Jayhawk Motorsports
    2010-2014

Now in NASCAR land. Boogity.
    Opinions Are My Own

I thinks that having large inertia in the crank wheel is more important then motor itself. What are you planning to do for that, do you have any CAD on this?

+ Reply to Thread