+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: FSAE-A 2011

Well as most of you have herd by now, Swinburne will NOT be entering this year with a petrol car.
    The long and short of it is they do not want to listen to students and want to focus on the electric car as they have reached a "peak" (their words not ours) with the petrol car. Which so far has turned out to be a fantastic choice (insert sarcasm).

However, the good news is that the petrol car will be heading to the Japan FSAE event. We were able to source funding (not by the uni, they paid only the $900 event entrance fee), so it will be all hands on deck soon in order to check/prep/test the car.

The plan is to leave the car mostly the same (No E85 at japan ) but to run on goodyears.

On top of this, I am planning on having the car at the car swap this year running on E85, just for the shear sh*t's and giggles of it.

Outside of that, if anyone has any questions about engine tunning, what we did, or wants some help (or even a tuner - Please I'm bored), then drop me a line and I will do what I can.

Best of luck to you guys this year. I am very envious.

[EDIT]
    For those wondering why we chose Japan, there was talk of heading to the US before our cancellation news came down. While we were busy trying to same the team (not heading over sea’s was one of the compromises to continue), we missed the entrance for FS-UK and for Formula student. And as it turned out, only the top team got an invite to the US comps (we thought top two)
    Last edited by Boffin; 08-14-2014 at 02:09 AM.
    Cheers

Swinburne University of Technology

@NickFavazzo: Good to hear Im not the only one already pumped for comp. Adeliade Uni also has a team evaluating aero, but at this stage it doesnt look like we will be getting any meaningful wind tunnel time so we will decide if we run it based on our on track testing.
    I did get a bit of inspiration after seeing Purdue present their car at Michigan http://www.flickr.com/photos/3...8542/in/photostream/ . Then Kansas State taking fastest Autocross time.

Monash: Great work getting the car together so quickly. I was hoping to get a step up on you with the direction change this year, but alas not. I have been following you on Facebook, and it looks like it is all coming together well.

Swinburne: Dissapointing to hear that you wont be there with your petrol car this year, especially after the great result last year. Hopefully for you guys the electric competition picks up in the next few years, or you can get support to take it to Europe and compete over there.
    Great to hear you are heading overseas, We will all be watching and supporting you guys all the way.

Adelaide Uni is currently trying to bust out as much testing as possible, we will be bringing new parts onto the old car as they come through to get as many k's on everything as we can. Then build the new chassis in the second half of the year and test, test, test. The aim is a super reliable car for comp, I want to be pulling a Missouri and sitting on a couch in the pits all comp.

Cheers
    The University of Adelaide Motorsport

2011 Team Manager
    2010 Engine Package Manager

Boff, whilst it's sad to hear that Swinburne petrol won't be at the 2011 aussie comp, I'm glad to see that you are going overseas. All the best with that one.

Steve, scary to see you guys so far forward with your build. (Does that mean Aurora _finally_ got back to you?)

UTS is coming along strong, and like Adelaide (and a fair few other teams it seems) we are putting a bigger focus on testing. We are no where near organising our event accommodation yet, but we are keen on keeping a few people around till Tuesday for a driver swap.

Pete Ringwood
    UTS Motorsports

Project Manager 2011
    pete.ringwood@utsmotorsports.com

Hey everyone!

Our Monash Motorsport Facebook page has a few photos of our chassis construction:

http://www.facebook.com/media/...6422.185745901446670

And from a test day at haunted hills:

http://www.facebook.com/media/...6421.185745901446670

Hopefully have some more exciting photos showing some progress soon

Monash Motorsport - Business and Sponsorship

natalie.ajay@monashmotorsport.com

Overseas will be interesting for us. Unfortunately this year their is no US or European team entering Japan. Good and bad for us really.

I forgot to mention guys, remember we have a sae friendly (to a degree) chassis dyno.
    So if you’re after one to shake the car down on, or need some last minute tuning done keep us in mind.
    Any time doesn't matter either. We've tuned till 2/3 in the morning before.
    Cheers

Hey guys

We're pretty excited about comp this year. Things seem to be progressing. Transaxle design revisions have been made and we should have photos of our chassis build up on facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/UoAfsae).

Not sure if we'll make it to car swap this year. Flights back home get more expensive a week closer to christmas.
    University of Auckland, NZ

Wow - this thread has gotten a lot of replies. I have to go to sleep, because we're going driver selection/training tomorrow, so will reply more thoroughly later; but since our 2010 car is still going, and Monash plans to keep their 2010 car for a few years (wish we could, but I don't think we have the space or resources if stuff starts breaking), maybe we could organise a FSAE dyno day at Swinburne?

Ben - I know you very kindly offered to let us use the chassis dyno so we could get a real torque curve, and I'm keeping that in mind, as the 2010 car will be getting some more driving time in the next month or so (as opposed to sitting in the workshop with various bits missing).

The 2011 engine guys will be running the dyno soon (next month - needs wiring and the 2011 intake/exhaust), so we may take you up on that tuning help offer. They're all new to it, and I only have 1 FSAE season's worth of experience.
    Rex Chan
    MUR Motorsports (The University of Melbourne)
    2009 - 2012: Engine team and MoTeC Data acquisition+wiring+sensors
    2013 - 2014: Engine team alumni and FSAE-A/FStotal fb page admin/contributer

r.chan|||murmotorsports.com
    rexnathanchan|||gmail.com

Event entry has been announced at $4180. Does anyone else think this is amazingly expensive considering we are Uni students with no money?

Event cost + accommodation + travel = the most expensive weekend of racing in Australia.

What are the event entry fee's elsewhere in the world, because it seems to be getting more expensive every year, and I though we were past the GEC. Hell, Australia pretty much missed it all together.

If you compare our event & the location to other international events (Hokkenhiem/ Silverstone/ MIS) its pretty clear the event seems to be very under-supported over here, and students seem to be footing the bill.

Opinions + comments?
    Jon O'Neill

Advisor-UTS Motorsports, Sydney, Australia
    www.utsmotorsports.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JonJon:
    Event entry has been announced at $4180. Does anyone else think this is amazingly expensive considering we are Uni students with no money?

Event cost + accommodation + travel = the most expensive weekend of racing in Australia.

What are the event entry fee's elsewhere in the world, because it seems to be getting more expensive every year, and I though we were past the GEC. Hell, Australia pretty much missed it all together.

If you compare our event & the location to other international events (Hokkenhiem/ Silverstone/ MIS) its pretty clear the event seems to be very under-supported over here, and students seem to be footing the bill.

Opinions + comments? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The US events are $2000 registration. FS Austria is 1000 euros. I don't remember the UK and FSG, but thought they were also around 1000 pounds/euros.
    Bob Paasch
    Faculty Advisor
    Global Formula Racing team/Oregon State SAE

$900 for japan, but no tents or shelter is provided.
    Cheers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast