+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fuel tank design

Can anyone tell me the side effects of a fuel tank made of plastic. I've not seen any of the team to use this, all of them uses fuel tank of Al or any other metal. Plz help me.

plastic ones have a tendency to transform into mutant ninja turtles. As a result we've given up on them.
    South Dakota State University Alum
    Electrical/Daq/Engine/Drivetrain/Tire guy '09-'14

Go big, Go blue, Go JACKS!

What does that mean?

We are using an ATL Fuel Cell since 2010. It works quite well, if you have a rigid cover around it.
    Alumnus
    HAWKS Racing e.V. - UAS Hamburg
    Head of Suspension 2010&2012
    STAT - Special Tools and Tactics 2011&2013

Racing karts almost all use polyethylene tanks. While they will eventually harden and crack after a few years, they are completely viable for a car like this. If you don't leave gas in them for long periods of time, they last a pretty darn long time. They are not expensive to buy, as long as you get a generic one. It would also not be that difficult to make a rotomolding tool to make one for yourself. Frankly, an off the shelf tank would be a big savings in time, money, and manpower.

-Kirk

http://cometkartsales.com/stor...es/kgtank85liter.jpg

Make sure you're not twisting or bending it and this should do fine. Mount it the same way it is mounted in a kart (1 bolt, 1 press-fit, and a floor under it). Keep the exhaust pipes well away from it. Replace it every three years.
    Charles Kaneb
    Magna International
    FSAE Lincoln Design Judge - Frame/Body/Link judging area. Not a professional vehicle dynamicist.

+ Reply to Thread