+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Go-Power dyno help

Hey, I am part of the NC A&T FSAE team. We are reviving it after a 5 year break. We have an old Go-Power dyno. I can't even find the model of it. I have never tinkered with a dyno before this one. It has a tall aluminum water tower, a fairly large control panel and then the actual engine brake itself sitting on a stand. The manual has more then likely been lost since its last use around 5 years ago. Any help would be greatly appreciated in finding or buying the manual for this thing. My searches have turned up absolutely nothing. This dyno was made back when Go-Power was located in Palo Alto, Calif.
    Thank you in advance
    Sincerely,
    Zach Huskinson
    NCAT

Hey, I am part of the NC A&T FSAE team. We are reviving it after a 5 year break. We have an old Go-Power dyno. I can't even find the model of it. I have never tinkered with a dyno before this one. It has a tall aluminum water tower, a fairly large control panel and then the actual engine brake itself sitting on a stand. The manual has more then likely been lost since its last use around 5 years ago. Any help would be greatly appreciated in finding or buying the manual for this thing. My searches have turned up absolutely nothing. This dyno was made back when Go-Power was located in Palo Alto, Calif.
    Thank you in advance
    Sincerely,
    Zach Huskinson
    NCAT

What would you like to know? I used a Go-Power when I was on the FSAE team at NC State...

have any pictures of the brake so I can see how similar it is to the one I used?
    Eric
    NC State FSAE 2003-2007

hey, actually one of our team members has a good friend at NC State and we are trying to contact him, see if they can find the manual. Basically i need to know how all of the water hoses hook up to the entire system. I will try to talk to our advisor, he usually keeps the cameras and alot of the electronics in his office.
    Sincerely,
    Zach Huskinson
    NCAT

Go Power is still around. Do a google search. I have a dyno from the 60's I am trying to revive.
    Mike Duwe
    UWP Alumni

Former Drivetrain Leader and Team Captain

Sorry i must not have been specific enough. I know they are around, we actually contacted them because our sight glass broke on the water tower. We asked if they carried any parts for them and they said no and they couldn't even find the manual for it. We milled our own sight glass out of solid plastic but its miss and hit on the actually setting up of all the hoses and such.
    Sincerely,
    Zach Huskinson
    NCAT

If you can get some pictures, I can probably help you figure out what goes where...
    Eric
    NC State FSAE 2003-2007

hey, my buddy took some pictures, he currently has a friend on the SAE team, got some serial numbers and he's gonna try and copy the proper manual and send it to us. i'll post back on here if it doesn't work out though.
    Sincerely,
    Zach Huskinson
    NCAT

We didn't have a whole lot as far as manual and hookups were concerned, so if that doesn't get you what you need to know, don't be afraid to ask...I'll see what I can do.
    Eric
    NC State FSAE 2003-2007

I am attempting to tackle the same issue this year with a Go-Power water-brake, but with more issues than just where the hoses go.
    I believe this water-brake came from Purdue in the early 90's and has sat in one of our closets until I found it last year. Anyway, last year I got it hooked up to the motor, using universal shafts mounted to a modified sprocket, in order to put a load on the engine. The only problem is, there isn't any of the force measuring equipment still with it, and like husky101, I don't know how it was intended to be set up. I have been researching load cells and believe I could use one from 'Transducer Techniques' that measures 0 to 200 lbs. with an amplifier connected to output 0-5V with which I could hook this directly to my Motec M4's Aux. Voltage input and calibrate my own torque table by hanging weights off the end of the pump housing with a known moment arm.

Poe, if you or anyone could send pictures of your team's Go-Power water brake it would be much appreciated. Send pics to im11@evansville.edu
    I will try to post a picture on here of ours, it sounds like Mike Duwe and I may have the same brake from the 60's...no exaggeration.

P.S. What size pump are you feeding the brake with?
    P.S.S. How does the load cell typical mount between the pump housing and the support stand? There are threaded places on the support stand, but they are too big for most load cells and there isn't enough room for the housing of most load cells. I think I have figured out an easy way to mount it, but I was just wondering what you guys have done.
    Ian McGiffen
    University of Evansville
    Engine Nerd

"I wanna go fast!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast