+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Trouble at SAE Supra in India

The engine rule can be made to 300cc for initial years of FS india that way the restrictor rule will not be a problem..and yes all other rules should be DITTO as the international rule and even the technical inspection should be of international standard with international judges, no mercy, no favoritism, it may also happen not a single car will be running in the 1st year of the event but that is how it should work, right??..next year maybe 2 cars will be running..and so on and yes, pre-event technical inspection is also necessary atlst 2 months before the main event that way there will be more chances for the team to clear the main technical inspection that too actually doing things right not by buttering judges.

Quote Ayan "Now the main point, who is going to take the initiative"..??

Ayan, look in the mirror! The guy in there might be able to help you!

Pat

PS, Sorry Ayan, I 'edited' this rather than answered it, but in any case, I guess you get the idea.
    PC

The Initiative for a International Rule Based event is being taken at

http: // www. face book. com/ groups/formulastudentindia/

Do join if you would like to be a part of it.

But before that, We must focus on getting a statement from the organizers regarding

1. Denying access to Claude and last minute cancelation of invitation of Pat Clarke and Steve Fox

For which a letter has been drafted and is available to view online for inputs regarding any changes to be made. the link to which is

http: //formula studentindia.wordpress.com/2012/09/12/letter-to-convener/

We will be hosting this letter on a site which will allow everyone to sign for it.

2. Similarly another letter is being drafted Regarding the letter to be sent to the Organizing Committee and SAE India about poor organization and unfair / partial judging at Supra SAE India, we need the participation of teams to collect all relevant information and assemble it into 1 single document. I request all teams to prepare a document that contains all relevant incidents at the competition that you were not satisfied / dis-content with. This document has to be mailed at formulastudentindia@gmail.com by 15 September 2012.

Please be as objective as possible in your document with specific incidents.

Kindly focus on these two first.
    Hiren G Patel

FS – Orion Combustion (Founder Member)
    -------Prototype '06
    -------Powertrain Lead '06 '07 '08 '09
    -------Composites guy '10
    -------Technical Director '10
    -------Technial Advisor/Mentor '12

Shame to hear what's going on. Since mr Rouelle is giving a seminar in Italy, wouldn't it be a good idea to at least give the students from India a video review of this? Someone in Italy can probably arrange this, and the only real problem I see is distribution and the associated costs.
    Hopefully something better will come from this.

I think limiting the engine capacity to 300cc while keeping all other FSAE rules the same for the first 2-3 years is a good idea. It will compel the student to think on how to design it to have better performance. The lightest car in Supra 2012 was around 380 kgs (way too heavy). If the engine capacity is reduced to 300cc, the weight differences will have a huge impact on performance of car. Indian students will also understand that 'FSAE is not about power, its about handling'. Also, the event will not require something as big as the BIC(which was also bigger for supra vehicles with 800cc engines), rather it can even be conducted on any go-kart track in India provided it will be able to have the space to accommodate the pits and everything else. This will also reduce the overall budget of the event.

Consider this:- If you keep a 300cc rule, teams will have to completely redesign their whole car again.

The current rule states that you can use a engine which is up to 610 cc.
    You are free to use a 300cc engine if you need to.
    Regarding the cost of engine, one IIT team built a car with a Royal Enfield 500cc engine for Australia. I'm not sure how the engine performed, but you have an option.

Also, which 300cc engine do you plan to use?
    Pravega Racing
    Vellore Institute of Technology

Why do you want to get down to 300 cc ? cbr 250 is the best that i can think of. You can still use it in the 610 cc rule & get a decent stand.
    Right now getting the event organised is of main concern. Formula Student India should be 100% similar to the other events, else no way you can call it FS India.

@Rohan Lakhotia..u are right but just as I said one must pass grade 3 to get education of grade 6 level..the rule can be just for 1st 2/3 years or else Plan B: Categorize 300cc, 600cc and also Electric Category(electric may be for future)..so we can hope to see much even, competitive competition..what say??and yes 300cc vehicles are allowed to compete against vehicles in 600cc category..this way everyone is happy!

@Diablo_niterider how many responses have you received? Can any way the non-participated team help you??

I don't know that the 300cc idea is very good, mostly because it doesn't really address a problem. Are Indian teams struggling after picking a 600cc sport bike motor because of the specifics of motor itself? or are they struggling because they spent a lot of time, money, and effort procuring a single example of a motor in poor condition with limited access to spares and manuals? I'd be welling to bet it is more of the later.

If I were building a car I'd be looking for an engine that could easily be sourced or supported in my region, even if that meant giving up some power or adding some extra weight to the car.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast