+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is it necessary for a FSAE car to use ABS on braking system?

Is it necessary for a FSAE car to use ABS on braking system ?

We are thinking of adding ABS to next-year's car , but we are not sure whether it id necessary or not ?

Is there any team using ABS ? How does the system behave in the Dynamic Events ?

Thanks a lot~

No, it is not necessary. Have you built a car without it or will your next-year's car be the first of your team? Where are you from by the way?

We drove the Bosch Motorsport ABS in 2011 but didn't observed any performance gains. Since then we are running without ABS.

Cologne developed their own ABS and they love it. So it can help, if it is the right system.

Regards.
    -------------------------------------------
    Alumnus
    AMZ Racing
    ETH Zürich

2010-2011: Suspension
    2012: Aerodynamics
    2013: Technical Lead

2014: FSA Engineering Design Judge

How do you pass brakes test with ABS?
    ----
    Paul Achard
    McGill Racing Team

Originally posted by Paul Achard:
    pull a fuse.

Originally posted by Paul Achard:
    At least the Bosch-System can be de-activated by a switch in the cockpit.
    -------------------------------------------
    Alumnus
    AMZ Racing
    ETH Zürich

2010-2011: Suspension
    2012: Aerodynamics
    2013: Technical Lead

2014: FSA Engineering Design Judge

There are some old discussions about using ABS that would be worth searching for.

If I remember correctly the teams who used it either justified it as a controls development opportunity, as shortening the learning curve for a new driving being able to brake consistently near the limit, or both.

Your results may vary. Even implementing an off-the-shelf system is not a simple endeavor.

Northwestern Formula Racing Alum
    Head Engineer, Frame/Suspension 2006-2009

My '73 Saab 99 Road Race Build

IIRC TMichaels old team used it. His advocation of using such a system was that unexperienced drivers could climb in and have to concentrate less on not locking brakes in corners, and more on other driving requirements like apex, throttle control etc.

I didn't know cologne had developed their own ABS. Are there any links to their development / implementation?
    Electronics Warwick Racing 11' Alumni

Thanks~
    Next year would come our 8th car...We come from China ,and take part in Japanese and Chinese Event, our cars always didn't perform well in SKIDPAD ,and also we don't have excellent drivers.....so I'm thinking about developing our own ABS...but it would be quite difficult...

Originally posted by JulianH:
    No, it is not necessary. Have you built a car without it or will your next-year's car be the first of your team? Where are you from by the way?

We drove the Bosch Motorsport ABS in 2011 but didn't observed any performance gains. Since then we are running without ABS.

Cologne developed their own ABS and they love it. So it can help, if it is the right system.

Regards.

I've read those old discussion and they made me totally hesitated...and struggled a lot with it...
    Obviously it may help someway ,but it is a question about whether it worth...

BTW , do you have anything recommended in the ABS design ?

Originally posted by Drew Price:
    There are some old discussions about using ABS that would be worth searching for.

If I remember correctly the teams who used it either justified it as a controls development opportunity, as shortening the learning curve for a new driving being able to brake consistently near the limit, or both.

Your results may vary. Even implementing an off-the-shelf system is not a simple endeavor.

Originally posted by Fledermaus:
    BTW , do you have anything recommended in the ABS design ?

Can you be more specific?

Northwestern Formula Racing Alum
    Head Engineer, Frame/Suspension 2006-2009

My '73 Saab 99 Road Race Build

+ Reply to Thread