+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Spectators

Dear Team Members and Faculty,

Due to increased insurance requirements, for all 2008 competitions the Team Paddock areas will be restricted to registered participants (team members and faculty, volunteers & designated media) of the event only. This area joins the current restricted area of dynamic events and will be limited to all participants with wristbands only.

Spectators are welcome at all Collegiate Design Competitions, but will be limited to designated viewing areas only. All Spectators will be required to sign a liability waiver near the student registration area in order to be onsite.

Admission for most events is Free! However please note at some events due to location there may be a charge.

For any questions please contact collegiatecompetitions@sae.org or call 1-724-776-4841 for Education Relations.
    Anyone else find this as dumb as we do? We (and I'm guessing almost every other team) spend most of our time at the competition in the paddock if the car isn't driving. They say spectators are welcome, but doing something like this will sure discourage parents/sponsors/friends for coming to check things out.
    Brian Seater
    Washington State University FSAE 2005-2009
    http://sae.wsu.edu

This makes sense if SAE is trying to turn this into a motorsports competition. I thought it was an engineering competition.

Now alumni can't check out other teams' cars, parents can't come and see what their tuition dollars actually pay for, etc. This rule will significantly reduce the open feeling of competition.
    "Gute Fahrer haben die Fliegenreste auf den Seitenscheiben."
    --Walter Röhrl

What I don't understand is that there are hardly ever engines running in the paddocks, nobody drives their cars ever, Almost all of the welding takes place at the Lincoln truck, so what are they (they as in the insurance company) afraid of?

Originally posted by Biggy72:
    ... so what are they (they as in the insurance company) afraid of?
    Spectators stealing stuff, injury from out-of control angle grinders or maybe an alien invasion perhaps.

I think this is ridiculous and I hope that it doesn't catch on.
    Cheers,

Josef Duschl
    www.munichmotorsport.de Alumni
    2007&2008 DAQ & Steering Wheel
    Solving the problems, you wouldn't have without computers.

The draw of going to these competitions is walking through the paddocks and seeing all the cars, checking out the latest cool thing...

this sucks... as an alum we will be shut out

next thing you know they will cut the field to 43 cars (if you know what I mean)

I've been in racing for a long time and I've always seen rules like these, and I've always hated them. Insurance companies have absolutely no concept of what it is like at a race track. They think that people are racing their cars around the paddock areas. Its hard enough to get people interested in racing, but then when they are told they cannot look at the cars its pretty much their last time at the track.

SAE is different since it is an engineering competition, but who is going to go to an engineering competition if they cannot even see the engineer's work?
    -BenB
    '03-05 Oregon State FSAE Alum

This sounds a bit silly! I hope it doesn't catch on at Formula Student in the UK - one of the attractions for sponsors to visit us at the event is getting to wander around Silverstone paddock and pit lane!

Alastair
    Alastair Clarke
    Cardiff Racing
    CARDIFF UNIVERSITY, UK
    www.cardiffracing.com

That really blows. First year out of college, I was REALLY looking forward to being able to head back, check out some friend's cars, my school's..

Dear Team Members and Faculty,

Due to increased insurance requirements, for all 2008 competitions the Team Paddock areas will be restricted to registered participants...................................... ...............................Admission for most events is Free! However please note at some events due to location there may be a charge.
    Yup,

This effectively uninvites me.

Ramon

Perhaps some of these comments, especially from sponsors and alumni, should also be sent to SAE...
    Brian Seater
    Washington State University FSAE 2005-2009
    http://sae.wsu.edu

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast