+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Spectators

Originally posted by flavorPacket:
    Clearly, everyone is upset. So, why not form a united front, and kindly flip SAE the bird?

My parents are coming, and I'd love to see the organizers try to stop them from seeing why they shell out $40k a year.
    Has anyone actually asked Kaley why the change in rules? Specifically, what the insurance company was worried about?

Originally posted by Poe:
    This really makes you wonder what that extra $400 worth of registration fees is paying for...

The support of parents and visitors helped our team tremendously, from assisting with errands to feeding and keeping all of our team members warm and dry at competition. Not having this ability will be a huge loss and a big pain for all teams.

This is what I was thinking. There is so much more to be learned in the pits then sitting on some bleachers 200' away from cars on the track.

Has anyone ever got hurt in the pits besides cutting themselves working with tools?

$400 was a huge jump and now they are cutting back on freedom...
    Mike Duwe
    UWP Alumni

Former Drivetrain Leader and Team Captain

Good call on the additional $400.00 charge for registration, I was under the impression that it was for additional insurance and slightly higher fees. Let's do the math: $400.00 x 130 teams = $52,000. What on earth is that going towards? My parents/family/alumni were very much looking forward to this competition until this new rule came out. Turnout is going to be abysmal this season...
    2003-2008 UF FSAE

So who do we talk to about this? Email that collegiatecompetitions address? Might have to..

..there are of course other ways to get in.

Originally posted by PatClarke:
    I think we must be fair. This decision is probably not the making of the SAE, but rather rules set down by the owners of the venue, and probably based totally on insurance issues.

This is another side effect of SAE being somewhat lost for a venue since leaving the Silver Dome. You never know what you have til you lose it.
    Pat Clarke
    Pat, the policy is being mandated for all 2008 competitions which I assume to mean fontana and VIR as well. Because of this, I believe the issue must be more on the SAE side than the venue side. Also, attending VIR, half our team and any guests have to pay the $50 entrance fee and its a shame that this isn't enough to get them in our paddock.

I was looking forward to having our sponsors come out to what will hopefully be a 'local' competition for years to come, but it doesn't sound like it will be much worth it.

Mike

Not being closely involved with FSAE in the US I wanted to wait a bit and see where the debate went before commenting.

On one level I can see the insurance point of view, but on the other hand if parents and sponsors can't come easily it totally defeats the object of the comp.

The news that the SAE have increased the entrance fee by $400 should have easily covered any insurance issues. The only conclusion seems to be they're doing it to make money - sad...

Ben
    -

[quote Mike]Pat, the policy is being mandated for all 2008 competitions[/quote]
    How sad!
    Compare this to the dilemma the German organisers found themselves in.
    Registration filled up in 5 minutes, so they re negotiated their deal with Hockenheim, the insurers, the caterers etc and increased the the entry numbers by 20%.
    Guess why I (and Ben =]) go to Germany and give FSAE a miss?
    Pat
    The trick is ... There is no trick!

SAE must be hard pressed for revenue. Since SAE is nonprofit (from my quick Google research) it appears as if the decision isn't to cover insurance costs as much as it is to increase net profit from the competition or cover other costs.

It's very unfortunate for everyone involved, I would love to go see my team compete and walk the paddock but I'm not paying $50 to watch design from bleachers with a set of binoculars. Hopefully the SAE changes their mind but I don't think its likely. Maybe if everyone boycotted comp or someone came up with a competing event...

Otherwise we're all at the mercy of the sanctioning body.

Maybe if everyone boycotted comp or someone came up with a competing event...
    Rumor has it that there's a *huge* event held by another sanctioning body in Kansas every September. Last year, 14 FSAE drivers showed up, and UTA left with the top four trophies. Granted, it's not exactly the perfect time of year on the academic calendar (and doesn't have an endurance event), but there is an alternative venue that welcomes FSAE teams to come out and play.....

Originally posted by B Hise:
    ... it appears as if the decision isn't to cover insurance costs as much as it is to increase net profit from the competition or cover other costs.
    My conclusion also. The SAE need to be careful on this one. The German event doesn't require them at all and if they keep pulling this sort of crap more often I suspect a US alternative will appear.

Certain members of the SAE committee definitely need a reality check as to what the purpose of the comp is.

Pat - sadly looks like I can't make any of the comps this year. Hopefully my tyres will be there though :-)

Ben
    -

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast