+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Average 100-0 kph braking performance.

Why is braking distance from 100-0 kph not frequently listed in teams' specifications? It would be helpful to know the FSAE braking distance realistic range.
    Conveyor Systems Design Engineer - EgyRoll
    AUMotorsports Team Leader 09-10
    Alexandria University, Egypt.

Why is braking distance from 100-0 kph not frequently listed in teams' specifications? It would be helpful to know the FSAE braking distance realistic range.

The answer I just came up with in my head says that an SAE car never does a 100-0kph stop in a useful area of competition. I'd say at most it'd be maybe 100-30kph, and more likely on average losing 20(??)kph upon entering a turn. It's just the nature of the course setups. But please take anything I just said with a grain of salt.
    Mountain Lion Motorsports

I think it would be a useful spec, I mean 100-30, 100-0, what's the difference. Lots of teams list 0-100 kph specs, and it's not like that's what gets tested in acceleration.

It's funny how much emphasis braking gets in design judging (not to mention on the forums...unfortunately more often than not for the worse instead of better), yet the humble braking system never really seems to get the respect it deserves.

In my 8th year in FSAE (yes, I am an old timer, as has been discussed in another thread), I'm just now starting to develop some respect for it. It was the first real system I designed for the car (in 2005!), yet our team has still managed to make some pretty impressive improvements to it this year. It's a fairly cut and dry system, not terribly hard to engineer, but there are a lot of little areas you can optimize.

Never mind the fact that you won't make it to a dynamic event if you can't lock all 4 tires, or how much time you can shave off autocross by having a confidence-inspiring braking system and drivers who know how to make proper use of it. Plus, with all the emphasis on cornering, it would be nice to see how much was given up in 100-0 to get that perfect skidpad score. In fact, I think we'll publish 100-0 this year.
    Dr. Adam Witthauer
    Iowa State University 2002-2013 alum

Mad Scientist, Gonzo Racewerks Unincorporated, Intl.

Listing FSAE cars specs in the same manner as the real world cars specs would be very helpful to new teams and very interesting for the public and potential sponsors. They won't be able to quantify 100-30 nor will be amused that you looked your brakes.

In 2007 we had a problem and lost front brakes in the endurance race. I was like 8 seconds off the pace. Obviously a good braking system makes a difference. One thing that I have noticed is that brakes are much more important for SAE as opposed to SCCA. SAE has lots of fast straights with hard brake zones at the end where you are usually going 60mph to 20mph. During SCCA races, for most the course you don't really do much more than just tap the brakes because there are no real low speed corners.
    ----
    Mike Cook
    It's an engineering competition, not an over-engineering competition!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
    It's funny how much emphasis braking gets in design judging (not to mention on the forums...unfortunately more often than not for the worse instead of better), yet the humble braking system never really seems to get the respect it deserves.

In my 8th year in FSAE (yes, I am an old timer, as has been discussed in another thread), I'm just now starting to develop some respect for it. It was the first real system I designed for the car (in 2005!), yet our team has still managed to make some pretty impressive improvements to it this year. It's a fairly cut and dry system, not terribly hard to engineer, but there are a lot of little areas you can optimize.

Never mind the fact that you won't make it to a dynamic event if you can't lock all 4 tires, or how much time you can shave off autocross by having a confidence-inspiring braking system and drivers who know how to make proper use of it. Plus, with all the emphasis on cornering, it would be nice to see how much was given up in 100-0 to get that perfect skidpad score. In fact, I think we'll publish 100-0 this year. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen brother!

It's not the toughest system to design but many teams overlook incorporating an effective (passing brake test) system either by not considering it important or simply going way overboard in its design.

In terms of specs for braking distance it would be interesting to see since a majority of teams run either one of two tires and it would be a good display of the systems abilities rather than that of tires capabilities.
    Brake Team
    Zips Racing
    The University of Akron
    www.zipsracing.com <---- Cool New Website
    http://www.uakron.edu/groups/sae/formula/

At 2009 Formula Student Austria they got an very interesting special event.

"The Special Event track is 100m long. After 75m the top speed is taken, then they brake. They mustn't need more than 25m until stopping. Both top speed and break acceleration will be taken into account for scoring with 25 points each."

http://fsaustria.at/fileadmin/...ialEvent_FSA2009.pdf

BA RacIng:
    - Top-Speed: 82,2 km/h, Stopped after 14,8m -&gt; 1,795g
    - Top-Speed: 98,9km/h, Stopped after 23,9m -&gt; 1,609g
    LU Motorsport:
    - Top-Speed: 91,83km/h, Stopped after 20,4m -&gt; 1,626g
    - Top-Speed: 96,77km/h, Stopped after 24,97m -&gt; 1,475g
    Hawks Racing:
    - Top-Speed: 56,7 km/h, Stopped after 7,9m -&gt; 1,600g
    - Top-Speed: 95,24km/h, Stopped after 24,36m -&gt; 1,464g
    TU Graz:
    - Top-Speed: 97,297km/h, Stopped after 23,53m -&gt; 1,582g
    TU Vienna:
    - Top-Speed: 93,26km/h, Stopped after 21,9m -&gt; 1,562g
    Beaver Racing:
    - Top-Speed: 94,7km/h, Stopped after 23,35m -&gt; 1,510g
    Raceyard Kiel:
    - Top-Speed: 60,9 km/h, Stopped after 12,4m -&gt; 1,176g
    - Top-Speed: 84,9km/h, Stopped after 19,26m -&gt; 1,472g
    Elephant Racing:
    - Top-Speed: 67,16 km/h, Stopped after 12,27m.-&gt; 1,446g
    UAS Graz:
    - Top Speed: 84,91km/h, Stopped after19,75m -&gt; 1,436g
    Unical Reparto Corse:
    - Top-Speed: 62,93km/h, Stopped after 10,9m -&gt; 1,429g
    ETS Motorsports:
    - Top-Speed: 88,64 km/h, Stopped after 21,8m -&gt; 1,417g
    TU Fast:
    - Top-Speed: 82,9km/h, Stopped after 19,5m -&gt; 1,386g
    - Top Speed: 84,91km/h, Stooped after 20,95m -&gt; 1,353g
    CAT Racing:
    - Top-Speed:82,5 km/h, Stopped after 19,32m -&gt; 1,385g
    Dynamics e.V.:
    - Top-Speed: 92,783km/h, Stopped after 24,6m -&gt; 1,376g
    KA RacING:
    - Top-Speed: 77,86km/h, Stopped after 18,0m -&gt; 1,325g
    munichHMotorspot:
    - Top-Speed: 85,71km/h, Stopped after 22,2m -&gt; 1.301g
    Infinity Racing:
    - Top-Speed: 72,58km/h, Stopped after 16,01m -&gt; 1,294g
    fast forest:
    - Top-Speed: 77,25km/h, Stopped after 19,7m -&gt; 1,197g

Average value of g during braking distance!

Not the best method for new tires. But interesting values.

Much more interesting is the braking distance after a finished endurance ;-)

Maybe we can see an event like this at other competition in 2010?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/FStotalcom/158738688444

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FStotal:
    "The Special Event track is 100m long. After 75m the top speed is taken, then they brake. They mustn't need more than 25m

Much more interesting is the braking distance after a finished endurance ;-)

Maybe we can see an event like this at other competition in 2010? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very cool...much like an FSAE version of the standing mile...I like.
    Dr. Adam Witthauer
    Iowa State University 2002-2013 alum

Mad Scientist, Gonzo Racewerks Unincorporated, Intl.

thanks for the valuable data .
    Kyrillous George
    ----------------
    AUMotorsports
    Project Manager
    ----------------------

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast