+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FSAE rule clarification with the CAD model

FSAE rule clarification with the CAD model

Hi,
    I am Sudharshun Iyengar representing a formula Electric Car making Team called Team Ojas from India. I have a confusion regarding a rule in the FSAE 2014 Rule Book.

I had already put up a post regarding the same issue, just to be sure I am back with the same issues with the pictures to give a better description of my problem.

Let me quote the rule that i was confused with. EV 3.4.3 - "All accumulator containers must lie within the frame."

We have two battery packs and they have been placed on the sides of the chassis side panels.
    I also wanted to share that the chassis covers 3/4th of the complete battery pack but does not enclose it completely.The top 1/4th of the battery pack pops out of the
    chassis, that is covered by water proof panelling. Hence the entire battery container is covered and water proof. So have we satisfied the rule?

I have uploaded the CAD model along with this post to gather the opinion regarding the validity of this rule.

Thanks for your reply in advance.
    Attached Images

I would be looking to use smaller batteries. They look very tall. Are you using lead-acid?
    University of Tasmania (UTAS)

Hi Jonny,
    We are a small team with really small budget. Our batteries are sponsored partially and this is the best we could come up with in order to complete the endurance test. Now about the rule. Is it violating the rule?

Sudharshun,

I suggest you send this request to whichever event you intend to enter.
    You cannot get an official ruling on the legality of your battery containers here as this is not an official site.

Pat
    The trick is... There is no trick

As far as I understand the rules they have to be completely enclosed, but again as Pat said: Contact the rules committee of the specific competition you want to enter. As I've seen you on two registration lists, here are the email addresses for those comps:
    For FSG: fse-rules(at)formulastudent.de
    For FSUK: via the questions database: http://teams.formulastudent.com/login.aspx
    Tristan
    Delft '09 Team member, '10 - Chief Electronics
    'now' (Hardware) Security Engineer

+ Reply to Thread