+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How many shifts during Acceleration event?

Just a quick survey, how many shifts does your car need during the 75m Acceleration event?

Also, do many teams start off in 2nd?

Thanks, Ian

Just a quick survey, how many shifts does your car need during the 75m Acceleration event?

Also, do many teams start off in 2nd?

Thanks, Ian

None.

3, from second.
    '01-'06 Cal Poly Pomona

We are doing some testing right now with gearing. Currently we launch in 1st and top out second about 5 feet from the finish. times are around 4.3s. with burned up 8inch rears on a somewhat sandy asphault lot
    Erich Ohlde
    Jayhawk Motorsports
    FSAE 04 - 09

All electrical components and wiring harnesses depend on proper circuit functioning, which is the transmission of charged ions by retention of the visible spectral manifestation known as "smoke". Smo

we start in 1st and shift to second and third

Thanks guys,

Interesting, as I was looking at some of the FStudent team design specs on gear ratios and they implied teams would need to reach 5th or 6th gear by the end of acceleration (~120kph). 2nd gear looked only good for ~70kph.

Anyone care to comment on this terminal speed?

In case any FStudent teams are worried about confidentiality a) I have the specs because I am a design judge and b) I will not publish any team-specific data or identify teams. I'm just trying to get a clearer idea of appropriate performance envelopes with a little simulation.

Ian

Start in 1st, was shifting into 3rd between the 2nd last interval of cones in Detroit. Speeds weren't all that great though, ~4.2s I think, but we didn't have a very good setup for acceleration in terms of anything, no two step, too much tire pressure, etc. I couldn't give you the speeds off the top of my head, but 6th would string out to 170kph at 10,000 rpm I think.
    Martin Raska
    UBC FSAE 2003-2007
    www.formulaubc.com

I'm not sure if the Formula Student design spec sheet is the same as FSAE but on the specs It asks for vehicle speed at the max power point which should be before the shift point and well before the revlimiter. Asking for revlimit speeds may be more helpful on the spec sheet.
    Josh Gillett
    Oregon State FSAE '04-'06

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BeaverGuy:
    I'm not sure if the Formula Student design spec sheet is the same as FSAE but on the specs It asks for vehicle speed at the max power point which should be before the shift point and well before the revlimiter. Asking for revlimit speeds may be more helpful on the spec sheet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Agreed, the specs aren't very clearly defined. In fact it's only by inference that a peak power or torque figure is asked for...

Let's re-phrase the question: What speed, revs and in what gear did you pass the 75m mark at?

Thnaks, Ian

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast