+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do all teams need Inertia Switch 2012?

Hi All, i've done a quick search.

I'm trying to interoperate the rules, do we need an inertia switch if we are running with a petrol engine?

What are other teams doing. Thanks for and response.

Hi All, i've done a quick search.

I'm trying to interoperate the rules, do we need an inertia switch if we are running with a petrol engine?

What are other teams doing. Thanks for and response.

It would help to know which competitions you plan to attend...

Fantomas
    Scores under pressure

Hey,

We are attending the UK Silverstone competition.

Thanks

Is anybody about?

Sorry I'll add a bit more information:

We are Aston University and are attending the UK competition in under a weeks time. We thought that we didn't need an inertia switch and it was meant for electric cars only, but its on the pre-scrutaneering form which has kinda thrown us.

Hey,

We had the same question, my reply from the rules committee was this...

...Only B11.6 in the FS rules applies to a standard IC car, this is the same as the FSAE rules + the earth lead identification requirement which the MSA insist upon....

The key is in the wording at the top of article 11.

Electrical System (<40V) and Shutdown System - as per 2012 FSAE rules except as follows for alternative powertrains unless mechanical throttle actuation is used

So, if you're IC you're fine, or if you're alternative but mechanical throttle you're also fine.

Hope that helps with the stress!

Ed
    University of Glasgow BEng 2003-2007
    Oxford Brookes MSc 2007-2008
    University of Glasgow PhD 2009 - god knows when.....
    WORK ....
    --------------------------------------------
    Preliminary operational tests proved inconclusive.... It blew up when we flipped the switch

Hey Ed,

Thanks very much for that. That is the way that we had read it however when it was on the pre-scrutineering form it worried us.

Are you involved with FS this year through Glasgow?

Rachel

Hi Rachel,

Yes, I've been overseeing the project and trying to provide support from a school level - although I'm guilty of not giving the team enough time as my research has somewhat monopolised my life recently!

The design looks decent, but the guys are having to deal with some fairly serious manufacturing issues... no change there then!

Swing by and say hello at some point at the comp if we've not all drowned in the rain by then.

Ed
    University of Glasgow BEng 2003-2007
    Oxford Brookes MSc 2007-2008
    University of Glasgow PhD 2009 - god knows when.....
    WORK ....
    --------------------------------------------
    Preliminary operational tests proved inconclusive.... It blew up when we flipped the switch

+ Reply to Thread