+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Steering column and freeplay

Hey guys,

I am running a steering column with one double uj and one single uj as the packaging was being quite a big problem for us.
    The steering freeplay is not there after the setup but after driving the vehicle for some time the freeplay appears.

What can be the problem?

When you say 'free-play' do you mean 'lash' or is it that the driver describes the feeling in the car as if it has 'lash' ?

Or is it that the 'free-play' is a measureable 'lash' or 'hysteresis' caused by overstressing the double or single UJs?

A single and a double are under-constrained. You might need another bearing in there to keep it from flopping around.

I have some further questions:

What model/make of U-joints do you use?
    What are their operating angles?
    And what is the max torque you load them during use?
    Can you visually see the play? Do you see the column move up or down, left or right, or just torsionally?
    Are you sure the play comes from the joints and not the rack&pinion, tie-rods, etc.?

When used too near their limit some of these joints can wear very fast. You might even have plastically deformed them.
    :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::
    2007-2012 - Suspension, chassis, and stuff (mostly stuff)
    Université de Sherbrooke

I can see the column go left and right slightly but that is at the point of double uj..

+ Reply to Thread