+ Reply to Thread

Thread: paddle shifter

ITS Surabaya, Mechanical Engineering Departement
    hi guys,
    Our team plan to join the next FSAE, but we have a problem with how to apply pneumatic paddle shifter to our car. maybe for you guys has some experience to share about this, please reply my notes,,

Best regards
    Kicunk.

What exactly is the problem you are having?

I don't have much experience with pneumatic shifters, so there is a good chance I won't be able to help anyway, but no-one will be able to help unless you let us know what the specific problem is

Simon

The best answer you're going to get on here is as a first year team don't do it. You'll have enough problems with other things.

Save the "luxury" gizmos for the future.

I agree completely with Canuck Racing. Get your car built and reliable using as many simple mechanical systems as possible, then branch out into the snazzy stuff.

If you are determined, track down the MIT Paper that dealt with it, or just fork up the cash and buy paradigm's complete unit for ~$1000US ish.

And cuz other people will chime in, use the search function at the top and read through this forum. I learned a ton about pneumatics just reading the 3 or 4 long threads with "pneumatic" in the title
    ------------------------------------------------
    Shields

+1 on the previous answers.

Go mechanical, and make sure you design a stiff linkage without any slopiness or free play anywhere.

Stiffness means all regarding shifting mechanisms.

Talking about pneumatics.. you should ellaborate more on what aren´t you getting clear. We´re not going to answer "do this, then that and you´re done"
    -----------------------------------
    Drivetrain Leader 07-08
    Technical Director 08-09
    Team FSAE USB - Caracas - Venezuela.

^^What they all said. Our team has been doing it for about 7 years now and we still run into issues with it every now and then. It is a really finicky system to deal with and you will be much better off as a first year team to use a mechanical shifter.

Zips Racing 2009-2014
    Jorts and Tank-top model 2013-2014

thanks guys, our team problem why we try to choose pneumatic pedal shifter is, how to make our driver can shift the gear quicker and easier. but if you guys have some suggestions about mechanical shifter, please tell me more.
    is it true if i think the mechanical shifter is like a shiffting bar that linked to the gearbox like a car?

thanks for your replies..
    kicunk.

oh, one more thing guys, if you have any article about the gear shifter i'd like to read it.
    you can share it here or send to my email at
    kicunk.isai@gmail.com
    or at my facebookpage at
    kicunk D'streamliner..

Go for Speed Guys..

+ Reply to Thread