+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: CAD advice needed

turbotwig,

so that means you can get us a solid model of a gt12. Hey, thats real cool buddy. When can we expect it?

By the way, where could one pick up an educational version of Catia and for how much? Is it pronounce "kay-sha" or "ka-tee-ahh"?

One of the reasons i like soldiwroks is because evryone has it if they have 3d. It used to be inventor by everyone here in upstate ny uses soldiworks now. If anything requires complicated 3d surfacing(molds, plastics designs) they use pro/e. I personally hate pro-e but it is really powerfull compared to solidworks but I dont know how it compares with UG or catia.

I really dig solidworks because it is easy to use, very popular, and in that packaged student release for 150 bucks that has full solidworks and full cosmos stuuf, it is perty much unbeatable.

One a side note, my model has every last piece in it, almost everything is associated to something else, evrything down to the rod ends are fully articulated and i dont really have any problems with it. I guess it is all in how you model stuff. Making configurations and lightweight parts makes life alot easier. This is all running off a dell dimension 8400 that i bought.

If your school has a liscensing deal set up with the CATIA folks (pronounced CAT-ee-uh), you can get an educational version for $100 from engineering.com

If not (my situation), well I dunno. But it would be cool if someone did.
    Colorado FSAE | '05 - '07
    Goodyear Tire & Rubber | '07 - '11
    NASCAR Engineer | '11 - ??

Kind of goofy put i really like programs that spend time of the GUI. I really got annoyed at pro-e on their sketcher because it was hard to see whta was going on in the sketch, the words and numbers looked cheezy, etc. It really just makes things easier to work with if you dont have to double take everything you are working on.

There are a lot of strong-opinioned posts in here, but I don't know if any of them have really answered the original question.

I use CATIA V5, so I am definitely Biased, and will tell you how great I think it is. The important thing, however, is to determine what your needs are and find the CAD system that best fits those needs.

Eric
    If it ain't broke
    It doesn't have enough features

Thanks for all the replies. I think that since I have quite a bit of experience in CATIA, I'll stick with it. I've never tried to play in the settings, so maybe I can find something that helps with big assemblies. Does anyone know how to set up CATIA to make it go faster?

Also, I've had a course on the CNC programming module and it's pretty good. In fact it's way better than the other method I've used, which is manual programming...
    Didier Beaudoin
    École Polytechnique de Montréal 2005-2008
    École nationale d'aérotechnique 2004

The Main thing that makes it slow is Graphics, so playing with the graphics settings will help, and simply hiding parts that you don't need to look at will help.
    If it ain't broke
    It doesn't have enough features

Here are a couple tricks to make CATIA go faster...

Software tricks:
    1. Right click on whatever shortcut to CATIA you use and in the "Target" text box add " c" at the end of the line. This will tell CATIA not to load a new CATPart on startup.
    2. Make sure you have no floating toolbars in your model workspace. I have heard from developers that floating toolbars will slow things down a bit (at least during startup).
    3.In Tools>Options, you can change all of your rendering options to make your models a bit faster.
    4. Don't open CATIA with ANY other programs.

Unfortunately, these software tricks really do not do much for CATIA on a slow computer. You really need to purchase a fast CPU, a fast harddrive, LOTS of RAM, and a good workstation video card.

Aerospace and Auto industries are bitching a lot about CATIA's speed so DS knows its a problem. Hopefully R15/R16 will start addressing that problem a bit more.

-Mark
    Cal Poly Pomona

I have experience with Pro E, CATIA, IDEAS, SW 03,04,05, AutoCAD, and UG NX2. I can't go into great detail, but I work with models of certain cast parts for every major car manufacturer. Needless to say, I do alot of translating from one format to the next. CATIA V4 and V5 are the most commonly used in this industry, followed by UG, and IDEAS (obviously Ford). SolidWorks and ProE is rarely seen, and other packages are practically non-existant except for third-party translators and patch creators such as 'Magics.'

Despite all of that, I am choosing SolidWorks 2005 for our team because for most modelling and manufacturing work that we do, it is more than capable. For the hardware we have, SW runs efficiently. It is also by far the easiest for new-comers to learn. As for analysis, don't use Cosmos, especially not Cosmos Express if you can avoid it. My FEA experience is limited to IDEA's, but hopefully I will have time to pick up on a new package.

There is no black and white answers for what software packages teams should use. I'm merely adding my 2 cents to add to the apparent trend.
    Bubba {Year III Mech}
    University of Western Ontario
    '05, '06 Driveline Manager
    '06 CAD & Static Event Co-ord.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bubba:
    As for analysis, don't use Cosmos, especially not Cosmos Express if you can avoid it. My FEA experience is limited to IDEA's... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why do you say not to use COSMOS? I understand Cosmos Express (free with SW) is very limited, but the Cosmos/Works package ($6k commercial price) has been very useful for us.

If you don't learn how to apply loads and restraints intelligently, or how make sure your mesh is good, you can screw up in any FEA package.

The only things we don't use Cosmos/Works for are the frame (we use beam elements in Algor or Ansys) and composites (we use Ansys). It's very quick and easy to do design iterations when the FEA program is linked to the CAD program. No need for file exports and imports, and re-definition of loads, constraints, and materials. Just change the model, rebuild, remesh, re-run, and record the results.

I don't have extensive experience in any other FEA packages, but please enlighten me with the shortcomings you see in Cosmos/Works.
    Alumni, University of Washington
    Structural / Mechanical Engineer, Blue Origin

They didnt like cosmos at TRW...it was mainly for designers, or preliminary FEA type things. there was also a list of studys that you could, and couldnt do. for the ones that you couldnt, you had to send it to the FEA department. of course, there was also an FEA dept. that wanted to keep their jobs, so who really knows.

I personaly dont like cosmos either, as there is something to be said about all the shiny bells and whistles that cosmos and SW has, compared against their track record of features that get introduced with new releases, and then dont work for 3 years....case in point, anbody ever use dome, or shape in SW? they just dont work in any practical way . im just skeptical of most of what they cram into SW..its also a source of my preference to SE as well.

slight rant, but i've used, and been paid by both for going on 6 years now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast