+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: ENGLISH IS THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE OF THIS FORUM

You are right; the future is dependant on the newbs, which is why I continue to look at this forum. I like to follow the FSAE community and occasionally answer a technical question or offer advice whenever I think my limited knowledge might help someone out. It is also why, if you have been watching this forum for the last year, you have seen my post discouraging the use of stickys for different subjects because I feel people continue to learn as they ask and answer the same questions over and over again. Each answer comes with a new perspective based on classes, experience, testing, etc. There is rarely a truly new subject that comes up on this forum, but many people who are no longer active in FSAE still come back because the discussion is still interesting and still teaches.

I am keen enough to notice that many vague questions were posted at or about the time you started this thread. Many of those had poor grammar, misspelled words, and poor sentence structure. I am also sure that you are keen enough to notice that many of those questions were posted by people who, it would appear, do not use English on a regular basis. You might also have noticed that the questions were followed with short, sarcastic replies which essentially ridiculed the person for attempting to further their knowledge. Being the observant type, I then noticed that somebody who had just registered for the first time 13 days earlier declare an official language for the forum. I would just ask that you find it in your heart to allow this forum to operate without an official language.

Short of those few people who come here either bloviate about their new design that is going to prove everybody else stupid or to find a group of people that will do all their leg-work for them, the people that come here do so to learn. If you or anybody else has some knowledge to help them out, even if their grammar and spelling of English leaves something to be desired, we should help them out. This is, after all, the number one forum, in terms of knowledge sharing, in all of motor sports and quite possibly in all university-sponsored technical contests of any kind.
    Sam Zimmerman

Vandals Racing alum

mmm yes, i understand what you mean.

Perhaps i should have titled my post to be,

"ful coherent sentences please!"

I have no objections to people posting in other languages, or trying in english. Just the native english people that are too lazy to type out full words.

My fault for the misunderstanding, lol

I'm with JP on this one. I have no problem working through choppy sentence structure or simple mistakes in spelling. Its the cryptic internet chat lingo that makes it difficult to comprehend what a person is trying to say. The occasional "ppl" or such is ok, but when a post comes up that every other vowel is dropped to the point that the post is difficult to read that things become agitating. And if you recall I tried to address the question at hand before I made my comment about his lack of english skills. I'm sorry I never got into the whole Instant Messenger scene and my text messaging abilities are not lightning quick, but as someone mentioned earlier, if the poster is looking for information it's best to try and be as clear as possible. If they make an honest effort to be understood and we in turn make an honest effort to comprehend then things will be much better off and the technical info can flow freely. But it will take both parties. Its not just the responsibility of the read to figure it out, the poster needs to take some initiative to be understood as well.

Ok, end rant.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4