+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AMD Sempron

Does anybody know if Pro/E (wildfire2) or solidworks 2005/2006 will run on an AMD Sempron Chip? Thinking about buying a budget laptop with this chip. The solidworks site doesnt mention the Sempron chip and neither does pro/E, wondering if anyone has had experience with it....

Does anybody know if Pro/E (wildfire2) or solidworks 2005/2006 will run on an AMD Sempron Chip? Thinking about buying a budget laptop with this chip. The solidworks site doesnt mention the Sempron chip and neither does pro/E, wondering if anyone has had experience with it....

We just got PRO/E in our school this year. One thing to be aware of is that it needs a fairly beefy (i.e. more expensive) graphics card, minimum 128Mb I think, otherwise the program will crash when you try to rotate anything. We had a trial version of Solidworks on a computer with a 64Mb card without any problems, so this is not as demanding as PRO/E.

Nice name by the way
    Tal199

ProE wf 2 runs really well on my TecraS01 notebook. The graphic card is a radeon9000 with 32mb... I do run out of memory when i run an ansys analysis with proe open... But it has nothing to do with the video ram
    Formula SAE Laval
    Engine Team Leader

I ran SolidWorks 2005 last year on a P3 (1.0GHz)with on-board video and 256MB RAM. It handled some fairly large assemblies with a tolerable amount of lag. BTW, I used this computer only when it was my last option.
    Bubba {Year III Mech}
    University of Western Ontario
    '05, '06 Driveline Manager
    '06 CAD & Static Event Co-ord.

I ran SolidWorks 2005 on a thunderbird 0.9GHz with video ge force2 64MB and 512MB RAM. It has big lag when I editing frame only. In "race car engineering" october issue you can read "hardware for software" article. They recomend to use 64bit Intel Xeon or AMD Opteron.
    romkasponka

It all depends on your models. If you think ahead and plan your models efficiently it will take less computing power and memory. Don't use 100 features when you could have made it with 10. I find if you think of 3D modelling more like software programming, then you'll end up with 'cleaner code' so to speak.

Also, work with logical sub-assemblies, and you won't have to open up the whole model all the time. Using common parts (hardware etc.) helps as well.

We were pretty lucky last year, we had P4s with 1GB RAM. We even had a few 'hot rods' with 2GB RAM.

+ Reply to Thread