+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why does Cornell use a Penske truck?

We prefer to spend our money on things that make our car go faster.
    Chris Davin
    Cornell Racing
    Engine Team '02 '03 '04 '05

Must be nice to have a budget of ~40k then...

we deal with 4k a year...
    04 - Engine Team
    05 - Team Captain
    Old Dominion University - Norfolk, VA

If you're bummed about a puny budget, go out and get some more sponsors! Its not like the "rich" teams just woke up one day and had all this money. They had to work at securing sponsors and support the same as every other team.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan G:
    If you're bummed about a puny budget, go out and get some more sponsors! Its not like the "rich" teams just woke up one day and had all this money. They had to work at securing sponsors and support the same as every other team. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen. Cornell generally does not get any money from the university - our entire budget (cash, parts, and services) comes from sponsorships that were earned and maintained by students. We have found it helpful to have a "business team" that helps with sponsorship-type things but I always dealt with my own sponsors directly. We have done pretty well, but I know there are plenty of teams out there with a lot more total sponsorship value than we had. I know some teams have gone on sponsorship road trips, pitching to potential new sponsors or maintaining relationships with existing ones.

Sponsorship should be part of the challenge of FSAE - some day, many of you will be dealing with suppliers, or maybe high-dollar sponsors if you end up working in motorsports.
    Chris Davin
    Cornell Racing
    Engine Team '02 '03 '04 '05

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Timmay!:
    Must be nice to have a budget of ~40k then...

we deal with 4k a year... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bohoo, my first year in Auburn we had less than 2k cash to deal with (finished 34th). In 2003 we increased our budget by over 4k with new sponsors that our teamers dug up themselves.

You are responsible for building your program; if not just for you then for the future FSAEers there. Making excuses is the first step to accepting failure...
    -Charlie Ping

Auburn FSAE Alum 00-04

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And the local Penske dealer gives us a good deal on a 20-25ft. truck for a week (about $500, including mileage and all...)

They're good people, so we've had no reason of yet to seriously consider a change for competition travel. And the space in one of those trucks is more that sufficient (we ended up getting a 20ft. truck this year, and it was still OK...)
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We used Penske for the Michigan trip as well and I completely agree...
    but what I do have to say is...damn you got a way better deal than we did...

-Nika

If you have a cheep and effective way to transport the car, use it. Here in Platteville our executive board has been saying that we need to buy our own trailer. What we've done in the past is rent ASCE's trailer for $0.05 a mile, that's only $50 to rent a 28' enclosed trailer round trip to Detroit. Not to shabby if you ask me.

I've always told our guys that if they need money for some parts, go out and find a sponsor or have a brat sale to make some money. Getting "free money" from the university is good, but not as good as knowing that your time and effort as awarded the team with a full contingency sponsorship. F&a man, it's the greatest feeling you can get with your clothes on. You business people know what I'm talking about.
    Joel Schmidt

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Amen. Cornell generally does not get any money from the university - our entire budget (cash, parts, and services) comes from sponsorships that were earned and maintained by students. We have found it helpful to have a "business team" that helps with sponsorship-type things but I always dealt with my own sponsors directly. We have done pretty well, but I know there are plenty of teams out there with a lot more total sponsorship value than we had. I know some teams have gone on sponsorship road trips, pitching to potential new sponsors or maintaining relationships with existing ones.

Sponsorship should be part of the challenge of FSAE - some day, many of you will be dealing with suppliers, or maybe high-dollar sponsors if you end up working in motorsports. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. It is just a part of the whole formula experience. We procure and maintain our own sponsorship with little to know help for the University. And some of there actions which they see as help is just a hinderence to us anyway. If you have a small budget, get out there and make contacts, business relationships and get more dollars. I have been involved with FSAE for 4 years now and our budget grows every year through the hard work of FSAE Team Members.
    Ryan
    University of Windsor
    FSAE 2002-2006

Timmay, take a look at these pictures, particularly #1. You don't need a lot of money to compete. Good luck.

http://fsae.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8.../m/58810639721
    ----
    Mike Cook
    It's an engineering competition, not an over-engineering competition!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Cook:
    Timmay, take a look at these pictures, particularly #1. You don't need a lot of money to compete. Good luck.

http://fsae.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8.../m/58810639721 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats a pretty low volume intake plenum you guys are running.....
    Mike Duwe
    UWP Alumni

Former Drivetrain Leader and Team Captain

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast