+ Reply to Thread

Thread: monocoque plate equivalency

we are developing our first monocoque and working hard on the SES laminate tests those days.
    we figured we can get good EI results for laminates that are more 90/0 oriented (more layers of 90/0 than 45/-45).
    i wonder if it is allowed to have a plate (side impact strc. for example) with better E1,E2 for certain coordinate sys.

any help or advise would be appreciated.
    Nachshon, BGU Racing

Your observation is correct and indeed, different layups are allowed for different areas of the monocoque. Good luck with it!

Hi Harry.
    different layups are allowed. my question is, if it is allowed to have directional layups for critical areas (like the side impact strc.).
    for a radical example: am i allowed to have only 90/0 fib. directions for the side impact?
    this obviously would have a good E1,E2 for the original coord. sys. and bad E1,E2 for a 45 deg. rotated sys. but would pass the bending test of the SES.

IMO, yes, it should be allowed. There's no wording prohibiting it on the rulebook, and everything not prohibited is legal, right? In theory your entire tub could be comprised of 0/90 layers entirely, as long as it passes all tests specified, although you will find that this is not really a bright idea. I would contact the rules comittee though, an official answer is much better than assumptions based on rational thinking.

+ Reply to Thread