+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Porsche Cayman S ABS failure or something else?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dende890:
    ...direct me to the more appropriate site.
    You know now how to do that - post the link.
    Thanks to everybody,
    Lev. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lev. You will find some excellent info below:

RennTech

Rennlist

Roadfly

Go to these forums, and SEARCH for the information you want. Someone else has had the same problems.
    EX-FSAE

I have doe a lot of researches on all the sites you listed + some other without help.

Again, in concise form.
    The brakes work perfect. But if I stop the car completely with running engine and keep moderate pressure on the brake pedal it will travel to the floor.
    Then I pump 3-4 times and it is very firm, however if I still apply the pressure, bigger then the first time the pedal slowly, but surely surrenders to the floor again.

With engine "off" everything is the same but when I pump the pedal second time after it reaches the floor, the pedal will surrender and go down but not completely to the floor.

The car has Slotted rotors, Padig black pads, Castrol SRF fluid, Titanium shims in calipers, GT 3 Air scoops.

There is no outer leakage in the system.
    The master braking cylinder was changed very recently without any difference to the problem.
    I drove 10 track days with this car this year without any failure of the brakes but with that problem.
    I just bought it in February.
    When the brakes get hot, the pedal goes a bit longer, bust the stopping power is the same, high.
    I’m afraid that at some point of hard braking the pedal will go to the floor.

Again, the braking is perfect everywhere!
    The problem is what happened after the braking complete and what might happened on the track in the future.

There probably some internal bleeding (ABS, PSM) which goes to default after the pressure on the pedal is off.
    Unfortunately I don't have an engineering knowledge how those devices work. However I'll try to find it on the Net.

Lev.

Lev,

I misunderstood your problem at first, I thought those conditions happened only when you had just come in from driving very hard and the brakes were heat-soaking in the pits from not being allowed to cool off enough, or that they had happened once on track while driving.

As long as the pedal stays hard (or even pretty firm) while you're driving with normal braking power, you're fine.

I think the situation you are describing it normal, and like you said, it may be some function of either the ABS or PSM circuits being able to bleed fluid around the master cylinder seals to over-ride or increase driver induced hydraulic pressure in the system.

If anything, the fixes we all described are addressing the wrong symptom, if anything is wrong, it could be the bleed circuit in the ABS pump, or possibly the master cylinder seals if there is no fluid weeping out the caliper piston seals.

Your fluid, pads, rotors, or thermal isolation shims would not fix this problem. The easiest thing to do is to ask on one of the Porsche formums of another Cayman owner if their car does the same thing, or even go to a Porsche dealer, and test drive another Cayman, and see if it does that just sitting and idling in the lot.

Best,
    Drew

Northwestern Formula Racing Alum
    Head Engineer, Frame/Suspension 2006-2009

My '73 Saab 99 Road Race Build

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wesley:
    How's that been since you got to America? Get 200 more yet?

If you came to this site by mistake, you have problems navigating the internet, not web sites. The internet wasn't designed by young Americans. It was invented by Al Gore.

You may have laid 200 women, but I've gotten a higher score than you in Tetris. You know where that was invented? Russia. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope you are wearing a condom playing Tetris.
    By the way, my favorite game. Thanks God it was not invented yet when I f...ed the girls.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Drew Price:
    Lev,

I misunderstood your problem at first, I thought those conditions happened only when you had just come in from driving very hard and the brakes were heat-soaking in the pits from not being allowed to cool off enough, or that they had happened once on track while driving.

Drew,

As long as the pedal stays hard (or even pretty firm) while you're driving with normal braking power, you're fine.

I think the situation you are describing it normal, and like you said, it may be some function of either the ABS or PSM circuits being able to bleed fluid around the master cylinder seals to over-ride or increase driver induced hydraulic pressure in the system.

If anything, the fixes we all described are addressing the wrong symptom, if anything is wrong, it could be the bleed circuit in the ABS pump, or possibly the master cylinder seals if there is no fluid weeping out the caliper piston seals.

Your fluid, pads, rotors, or thermal isolation shims would not fix this problem. The easiest thing to do is to ask on one of the Porsche formums of another Cayman owner if their car does the same thing, or even go to a Porsche dealer, and test drive another Cayman, and see if it does that just sitting and idling in the lot.

Best,
    Drew </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like you.
    You are going to be a very important man in some big automobile company.
    You are persistent and inquisitive man.
    I seat in other Porches and Caymans.
    The pedal goes down to the floor when the ignition is "off" but only for the first time.
    After it was pumped it doesn't go to the floor.
    It surrenders a bit, but not complitely.
    To morrow I'll try to go to the nearest Porsche dealership and try a few cars if they let me do this.

I placed my letter in a few Porsche forums days ago but the respond is very low and not interesting at all.

Thanks, you certainly sound interesting yourself. And if you know anyone in the auto or motorsports industry hiring entry-level or recent graduate positions, I'll bounce you my resume, as it stands I might be working for a Saab Indy mechanic in LA for a while till the job market swings back (or someone with some backing and some balls buys Saab, then I'll be harassing them).

I do try to keep my ideologies and oppinions out of my engineering life, but sometimes it gets through. That's one of my favorite things about studying the sciences, is people from all different backgrounds can share so much and (hopefully) put their differences aside (within reason) for a while, and hold an intelligent conversation.

The gentleman from the Darmstadt team who posts as DART-CG above is also inquisitive and extremely good at what he does, maybe some civility will perk his interest again, and he could share some of the workings of your particular system that the rest of us don't have first hand experience with yet. I know I am interested to see if anything is actually wrong with your car. (Add it to my mental checklist of things to help my troubleshooting skills).

I can't imagine there'd be a problem with the master cylinder seals after only 3 years or so, but one less than surgically-clean fluid change could have got a bit of dirt into the cylinder and scratched something. Masters in my '85 Saab have been perfect since I rebuilt them 6-7 years ago, and that was my first time.

Like Zac said, you wanna give us some walking around money, I'm sure we could have you set pretty quick.

Does Porsche uphold manufacturer's warranty if you track your car? I assume your '07 is still under warranty....

Best,
    Drew

Northwestern Formula Racing Alum
    Head Engineer, Frame/Suspension 2006-2009

My '73 Saab 99 Road Race Build

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dende890:
    I hope you are wearing a condom playing Tetris.
    By the way, my favorite game. Thanks God it was not invented yet when I f...ed the girls. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can combine the two. It makes you much worse at the game though.
    Wesley
    OU Sooner Racing Team Alum '09

connecting-rods.blogspot.com

Come on guys! I was regularly checking in on this for pure entertainment! Don't let in die now!
    Lawrence Tech University
    2009 Formula SAE
    Team Captain

(AKA The Dollar Nazi)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4