+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Quasiturbine Car

Has anyone ever considered this engine before? I just recently read about it and thought it'd be awesome but I'm not even sure if it conforms to the rules.

http://quasiturbine.promci.qc.ca/
    Carlos Vargas
    Florida Tech FSAE

Has anyone ever considered this engine before? I just recently read about it and thought it'd be awesome but I'm not even sure if it conforms to the rules.

http://quasiturbine.promci.qc.ca/
    Carlos Vargas
    Florida Tech FSAE

It works like a rotary, so no, not allowed.

Santorican,

Even assuming this engine was legal for FS/FSAE, I am interested to know why you think it would be 'awesome'?

Pat
    The trick is ... There is no trick!

Come on Pat, didn't you read the blurb on the website?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The Quasiturbine is a compact, low weight and high torque machine
    with top efficiency, specially in power modulation applications. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I bet it's also cheap, reliable, and perfectly environmentally friendly!

Something I've realised from dealing with a few alternative IC engine configurations through my work in the last year or so, is that they'll all have their own unique issues that require significant time and financial investment to compete with the modern reciprocating piston engine, which despite its drawbacks has seen billions of hours of combined man-hours developing it to where it is today.

The Wankel rotary is really the only architecture to come close, and I think a lot of that comes down to the inherent simplicity of it (something that all other formats I've come across seem to lack)
    Malcolm Graham
    University of Auckland '06-'09
    www.fsae.co.nz

Just imagine what the Aixro XR 50 could do in FSAE... 48hp with a beautiful torque curve, 294cc, 30lb weight. But I don't imagine the rules committee embracing Wankels or giving us 50:1 premix in the fuel queue anytime soon. Oh well, the turbo cars more than make up for any pollution we're missing out on.
    -----------------------------------
    Matt Birt
    Engine Calibration and Performance Engineer, Enovation Controls
    Former Powertrain Lead, Kettering University CSC/FSAE team
    1st place Fuel Efficiency 2013 FSAE, FSAE West, Formula North
    1st place overall 2014 Clean Snowmobile Challenge

+ Reply to Thread