+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Solidworks Seat?

I'm new to both FSAE and to Solidworks and was wondering if anyone knew of any tutorials on how to make something like a FSAE seat in Solidworks. I can make just about any kind of shape except for something like the seat.

Do some research on 3D sketches, points, splines, then using splines as paths in the swept boss feature

For that, the easiest technique will be to use surface modeling. The video I've linked discusses nosecone modeling, but the techniques are easily transferrable to something like a seat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8dKweEt1OQ
    San Jose State University

FSAE Chassis and Ergonomics Lead '12-'13
    FSAE Chief Engineer '11-'12
    FSAE Chassis Technical Lead '10-'11
    Formula Hybrid Chassis Grunt '09-'10

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing le

I'm wondering if you're a UNF student judging by your name. If you are, I know for a fact there is seat CAD model you can look at and learn.
    www.OspreyRacing.org
    University of North Florida

Have you considered a laser scan of your back? That would give you the most accurate model.
    Any views or opinions expressed by me may in no way reflect those of Stewart-Haas Racing, Kettering University, or their employees, students, administrators or sponsors.

I'm actually not a UNF student. I'm at Old Dominion University. My name is from the V-22 Osprey, actually!

As far as the seat modeling goes, I think I'm going to try and do the surface modeling technique. I'm still having some minor troubles, but hopefully I will have them worked out soon.

This is a very good SW surfacing tutorial. It'll take you some time to go through everything, but it's worth it!

http://www.solidworkslessons.i...or-drone-online-tut/

-Kirk

+ Reply to Thread