+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Street Legal FSAE?

I remember that car.. have a picture of it somewhere. Don't think it was FSAE though. I recall it being similar but a bit different, not unlike an Ariel Atom.

There was a guy from University of Michigan Ann Arbor I met and talked with during the '95 and '96 competitions at the Silverdome. After graduating he set about the task of building himself a road legal formula car using a Geo Spectum or Prism as a donor car for the drivetrain and 5,000 other little bits needed to get a vehicle on the road.

I have forgotten his name. He had a blog going about the build up about 8 to 10 years ago. He was living in Michigan at the time. I wonder if he finished it and that is what you at the competition.

These pics are a little outdated, I've done a lot of work on the car since they were taken.

https://webspace.utexas.edu/ca61483/...Car%20Pics.ppt

The frame now has additional side impact tubes, I've mounted the radiator and fan, added pedals and the dash structure. I've also done the seat layup and cut and mounted it in the car, just awaiting final top coat. I've got all the suspension fabrication complete but I plan on buying hubs from Zilker Vehicle Techonology, http://www.zilkervehicle.com/index_files/page0005.htm.

I need to buy the remaining springs, shocks, wheels and tires, and I'll be sprung and rolling.

I heard a rumor that a certain team from Buffalo, that needed 4 years to build a slow car, has a habit of making things up... Can anyone confirm or deny this?
    Ryan Baldi
    RIT Formula SAE

LOL 4 years huh...

anyways it's really not practical as you'd need the raise the ride height so much it would end up looking like a baja car. And at that point you would need to redo every bit of the suspension geometry. This is my opinion after having someone very knowledgeable (more so than myself) talk to me about making my formula ford street legal... and then quickly recanting their ideas after I said the above.

I don't think the words "practical" and "FSAE" even belong in the same post.

Wesley
    OU Sooner Racing Team Alum '09

connecting-rods.blogspot.com

Probably against my better judgement but I've started a blog on my build for anyone that is interested.
    http://pdv-motorsports.blogspot.com/
    Ryan M.

Nice start on the concepts, I like the seating arrangement. It's good to see other people starting these projects because it gives me more motivation to get mine done.
    One thought on the hand clutch. I liked the hand clutch in our FSAE car but I would hate it on a street car. I'm running 3 pedal with mechanical and paddle shifter. Search "bach roadster" on you tube for my latest video. I'm mounting my diff this week, driveshafts after that and then I'll be driving!!!
    Superfast, any updates on the Bonneville coffin, er, racer?

I'll have to think about it, I too like it on the FSAE car but I can see it getting annoying on a street car.
    Ryan M.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
    Superfast, any updates on the Bonneville coffin, er, racer? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeh, it's really expensive and time consuming. Also, I hate fiberglass.

Next time, after I say "You know what would be awesome..." I'm going to sit down and really think about whether or not I want to spend three years of my life and all my money on said awesome.

I suspect the answer will be probably still, yes.

Ryan, Regarding the three seater open wheeled car, you might look into this:

http://www.sdrsportscars.co.uk/theCar.html

Sort of the same deal. Maybe you can steal some design cues.
    Matt Brown

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast