+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Street Legal FSAE?

Hybrid View

How's it going?

I was wondering if a FSAE car has been made roadworthy before?

My university's FSAE vehicle went unfinished last rear, I'm not sure if they even made it to a rolling chassis or not. They have the monocoque and rear spaceframe finished, and the engine/diff mounted. Well, with the new rules, a new monocoque must be crafted, and will be designing a new spaceframe because last years' required the frame to be taken off to work on the engine.

I am considering a large 'donation' to the program in exchange for last years vehicle in its current state. I want to design the suspension from the ground up... vehicle dynamics is my thing. Essentially I would design a package for road (primarily taller ride height) and a package for the track. I think all said and done, that would include two sets of uprights, rods/arms, dampers, etc. The switchover of course would not be too bad.

I know in my state the hardest part of getting a title is going through the State Patrol inspection and then having them etch the vin on the chassis. Once you have that, you're golden other than the emissions requirements if any.

So, like I said earlier, I was just wondering if a FSAE car has been made streetable. Thanks!

Ryan

LOL 4 years huh...

anyways it's really not practical as you'd need the raise the ride height so much it would end up looking like a baja car. And at that point you would need to redo every bit of the suspension geometry. This is my opinion after having someone very knowledgeable (more so than myself) talk to me about making my formula ford street legal... and then quickly recanting their ideas after I said the above.

I don't think the words "practical" and "FSAE" even belong in the same post.

Wesley
    OU Sooner Racing Team Alum '09

connecting-rods.blogspot.com

to set the record straight, I and some other team members had considered this for a period of time.

and for reasons outside of this thread, i am assuming that i will have a difficult time driving said winter testing car
    Any views or opinions expressed by me may in no way reflect those of Stewart-Haas Racing, Kettering University, or their employees, students, administrators or sponsors.

Nice start on the concepts, I like the seating arrangement. It's good to see other people starting these projects because it gives me more motivation to get mine done.
    One thought on the hand clutch. I liked the hand clutch in our FSAE car but I would hate it on a street car. I'm running 3 pedal with mechanical and paddle shifter. Search "bach roadster" on you tube for my latest video. I'm mounting my diff this week, driveshafts after that and then I'll be driving!!!
    Superfast, any updates on the Bonneville coffin, er, racer?

Well we're considering getting some cheap 16" rims and used all seasons for our 06 car... not sure about the street legality thing yet... big problem right now is the insurance part
    Any views or opinions expressed by me may in no way reflect those of Stewart-Haas Racing, Kettering University, or their employees, students, administrators or sponsors.

Freaking hilarious HUB.
    I would proudly do the same.
    --Dash Robinson
    --Mississippi State University

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
    Superfast, any updates on the Bonneville coffin, er, racer? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeh, it's really expensive and time consuming. Also, I hate fiberglass.

Next time, after I say "You know what would be awesome..." I'm going to sit down and really think about whether or not I want to spend three years of my life and all my money on said awesome.

I suspect the answer will be probably still, yes.

Ryan, Regarding the three seater open wheeled car, you might look into this:

http://www.sdrsportscars.co.uk/theCar.html

Sort of the same deal. Maybe you can steal some design cues.
    Matt Brown

Probably against my better judgement but I've started a blog on my build for anyone that is interested.
    http://pdv-motorsports.blogspot.com/
    Ryan M.

Sweet, I wish I could find numbers on it though. It looks like its pretty narrow. I'm going to have to make a quick and dirty mockup to get the width right. Those rear seats are kind of what I was visualizing instead of actual racing seats too.
    Ryan M.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast