@gaanja:

follow this link:
    http://gtisoft.com/contact/con...act_by_Territory.php

and call or write to the worldwide headquarters in westmond, IL

The contact person we had for our fsae-license was "tara petrusha"
    Don't forget to tell you are FSAE.

Sure it is 100$/per license and year -> good deal

regards

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wesley:
    With all this said, the extent of our cam modification research has been Ricardo WAVE and a few spreadsheets - and, for us at least, we felt that spending the extra 500-1000 dollars on cams wasn't worth it when we could spend that money on lightness instead. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I just have to comment on this because I think the 500-1000 dollars spent on cams are exactly the place to spend it. The weight savings you gain with that sum of money is nothing compared to the 15-20hp you can get with right cams from a 600cc 4cyl. Getting the intake and exhaust right puts you in to the +90hp zone and after that begins the real work
    Playing with the stock cams wont get you anywhere.

Thanks a lot guys for all your help.... We will be getting GT- Suite in about 2 weeks time and ricardo around the same time too...

@Tinke: I was contemplating on whether it was wise decision to go in for cam mods. Now that you said it would give about 15 to 20 hp change i am definitely doing this
    Sriganesh
    Random Bitch '06
    ECU and DAQ '07 '08 '09
    Engine '09 '10
    Ashwa Racing, RVCE
    Bangalore, India

A cam change can give a 15-20HP gain. Bear in mind that Tinke is at Helsinki Polytech, which has one of the best FSAE teams in the world. They're a high standard, but you can meet it with plenty of elbow grease.
    "The highest happiness of man is to have probed what is knowable, and to quietly revere what is unknowable."
    -Johann Wolfgang von Geothe

I wouldn't say nowhere. But yeah, that's what I like about the competition, is that everyone has a different idea of how to go fast under the budget constraints, and what should see the attention first - and if it's well done, it works!

Gaanja - Not that I think you figure you'll 'bolt on' 20 hp, but just note that it is a significant time investment to develop or choose a new cam profile.

That was another factor when I looked into it back in '08. We didn't have the manpower or design time for it either. It's something you should ideally look at in conjunction with your intake and exhaust, but in the event of an engine failure you have to make sure you have the time to swap the cams or another engine prepped and ready to go with the modifications in case of failure - wherein the real cost lies, because if you've designed your intake and exhaust to take advantage of changed geometry and then you have to slap another engine in there, you've just lost a lot of time and effort.

As with all things, be sure to look at it in context with your budget and team priorities.
    Wesley
    OU Sooner Racing Team Alum '09

connecting-rods.blogspot.com

As far as custom cams and cost go, don't forget that you can always grind your stock cam to a custom profile. If you find the right company that's maybe willing to sponsor your team, you can have this done for $100 or less. Ours is free this year =)

Since the most beneficial change to these cams (IMO) is to lower duration and overlap, you already have more than enough material on the stock cam to work with. Don't ever let budget stop you! Usually, with enough phone calls and pestering the right people, you can get stuff done for free, or at highly reduced rates.

@ Ockaham and Wesley: Yes i do know that Tinke is from Helsinki Polytech and i do know that they are one of the best teams in the world. Its just that if they have achieved a 15 to 20 hp increase by cam mods it just gives me the assurance that it is actually possible to gain something significant by modifying cams. We may not be able to 'bolt on' 20 hp . But we could get there sooner or later. It also is not about whether we get that increase in power. Its the experience and knowledge we gain by doing the exercise.

With respect to man power, we have about 50 members in the team including freshmen and sophomores and 8 guys working on the engine and a separate 4 working on the ECU and tuning.

For the last five years we have just been looking at optimizing the intake and exhaust designs to increase performance. Last year we had a system that was doing much better than any other year.Also we are sticking to a similar design this year and just optimizing the manufacturing part of it. So before i leave the college i am looking at setting up a base where the other guys who have time left in the team can take the next step forward.

Thanks a lot again

cheers
    Sriganesh
    Random Bitch '06
    ECU and DAQ '07 '08 '09
    Engine '09 '10
    Ashwa Racing, RVCE
    Bangalore, India

Oookay, you should have more than enough manpower. You have more workers for your engine than we have for our whole team (lucky bugger). Great attitude, sir, and best of luck!
    "The highest happiness of man is to have probed what is knowable, and to quietly revere what is unknowable."
    -Johann Wolfgang von Geothe

just to clarify,
    if you just want high power output 90+ hp, you don't have to change cams.
    we had 94Hp just with slight shifting of the timings last year.
    For me it seems impossible to get another 15-20hp.
    we do it to get more max. torque in middle rpm-ranges and engine behaviour ind lower rpms.
    be sure what you want and what you need to do for that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gaanja:
    With respect to man power, we have about 50 members in the team including freshmen and sophomores and 8 guys working on the engine and a separate 4 working on the ECU and tuning.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

50 !!.... Holy crap! We have so much now ??. Who is attending college then ? I suggest you keep the head count of first year "yo dudes" every month. Let see how many can we save at the end of 1 year.
    06, 07, 08 - Ashwa Racing (R.V. College of Engineering, Bangalore)
    09 - Rennstall (University of Applied Sciences, Esslingen)
    10,11 - Red Shirt / Scrutineer (FSG, Hockenheim)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast