+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2001 YZF R6 + Performance Electronics

Hey all,

Calling upon all the Yamaha YZF R6 (stock carb model) teams who have used the Performance Electronics kit.

I wanted to know if u guys have had any hickups with the above mentioned combination while trying to rev the engine beyond a certain rpm inspite of 100% open throttle? if yes, what had seemed to cause it ?

Our setup is behaving very erratic... the Engine initially misfires a hell lot : where just single cylinder fires that too randomly. . .

later, after numerous times cross checking all the connections, the eng. dsnt rev beyond 8K rpm. at full throttle.

What can be the determental factors that may be causing this : ??

We are using a stock Fuel pump of a(locally available) 1300cc MPFI car . . . and regulated by an Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator. For injectors, we are using those of Daewoo Matiz
    Is it possible that the fuel line is not being sustained at the requisite pressure ??

What pressure (50 psi) are ur fuel lines being maintained at and what kind of regulating device do u use (( manifold/ plenum vaccuum actuated Diaphragm - Fuel pressure Regulator ? )) ?

Do most of these teams go for YZF R6 (2003+) Fuel Injectors ? or some different ones //(in case not using the PE ones)//
    Have u ever made any switch-over to a different ECU ? If yes, Why ?

Thanks
    \\//, Live Long and Prosper.
    Manas.

we run that system...but don't seem to have many problems with it.

I'm really not sure where the problem would be, but if the ECU and programming is ok, I'd check the throttle position sensor to make sure it's outputting a correct signal at WOT.
    "Man, I need to practice more!" - Kenny Wallace
    "Try not to have a good time... this is supposed to be educational." - Charles M Schulz
    -OptimumG 2005-2006
    -Turner Motorsports 2008-2009
    -Black Swan Racing 2010 & 2011 Team and Driver's Champions
    -HPD Race Engineer 2011-2014
    -Currently Freelance Data/Race Engineer

I'm not an engine guy, but from what I gather:

-Use a fixed fuel pressure regulator. Vacuum regulators are for cases where, for example, you've added a turbo kit to a stock car, and you can't change the fuel map, so you rely on the fuel pressure regulator to add more fuel with boost.
    -We run about 50 psi (not kpa) fuel rail pressure.
    -Use a fuel pressure gage to make sure you're getting that pressure on the rail.

Hope that helps.
    Alumni, University of Washington
    Structural / Mechanical Engineer, Blue Origin

i've never used the performance electronics stuff but if your misfiring check the RPM sensor output with a cro and make sure you are getting a good consistent signal, is it a hall effect or reluctor sensor

Have you checked the ignition advance with a timing light?

Make sure any rev limiter's are switched off

It's pretty unlikely that the problem is due to a lack of fuel if the engine is under no load but it's always a good idea to have a fuel gauge off the rail so you can see what is happening

Hope that's some help
    Full Boar Racing (02, 03, 04, 05)
    http://gtv.seddon.ca

I ran an R6 with a PE-ECU1 last year. We had initial firing problems and a reluctance to rev. it was due to trigger wheel problems. The trigger wheel is not as hard to please as with some other systems but it is vitally important that your timing is right on and be sure to check the air gap (the tolerance is listed in the manual; use a feeler gage). During testing, I ran between 30psi and 60psi but, as Denny said, have a pressure regulator on the rail. I have also run into misfiring problems due to fluctuating fuel pressure.

The R6 stock fuel injectors and plug igniters are low impedance, the PE needs high impedence inkectors and igniters. The igniters and injectors from a Honda CBR 600 F4i will do work as will most automotive injectors (I ran F4i ignitors and Bosch injectors from a 2.3l ford mustang, the F4i injectors are $$$$$)

Look into this and give me a shout if you are still having problems: matthew . garvin @ gmail . com

Hi Manas,

What have you adjusted to try to remedy the problem? An engine that won't rev can be either fuel or ignition related. Also, what ignition coils are you using? If you would like, send me the tuning file (*.ECU) and I will see if I see anything that jumps out at me (brian@pe-ltd.com).
    Brian Lewis
    Performance Electronics, Ltd.
    www.pe-ltd.com
    http://www.facebook.com/Perf.Elec.Ltd
    Engine Management Systems

We're running an 01 R6 engine with the PE box, and we ran into the same problems others have talked about. The engine team spent numerous hours on the dyno trying to figure out all the bugs, though we never really did have the same problems you did. They had to CNC their own crankwheel, because the PE one wasn't good enough and was giving erratic signals, when measured using an oscilloscope. After that, we found out the RC injectors we were using were not the right resistance, so we had to order new ones. We are using the honda f4i coils, and those are working very well. We run with a stock 04 R6 pressure reg, which stays at about 45 psi.

If its not a wiring problem, I would look into the crankwheel first, for the misfiring problems. Then check your injectors and coils.

Good luck!

dartmouth01,

I do not know the exact set of circumstances surrounding your situation but I do remember that we sent the trigger wheel out late because we were out of stock. In the meantime, someone on your team manufactured a wheel based on the prints that we provided.

The trigger wheel can't be "bad" per se as long as the teeth are spaced correctly, there isn't excessive run-out and the proper spacing between it and the sensor is maintained.

Normally, if the trigger signal is the problem, a "Crank Error" will be registered. It is typically due to incorrect sensor gap, the sensor wired backwards, excessive noise on the line or a flexible sensor mount.
    Brian Lewis
    www.pe-ltd.com

Hey Brian,
    Don't forget the classic, running the wiring for the crank sensor across the ignition leads/coils.
    Mark McCoy

Thanks Mark,

That's an olde but a goodie. If you wrap those plug wires around the trigger lines enough times, no amount of sheliding seems to help.
    Brian Lewis
    www.pe-ltd.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast